Laoshan Village: Making the Finest Green Tea in the World
Laoshan – a Taoist holy mountain where ocean mist, artesian spring water, rich soil and passionate devoted farming come together to make green tea unlike any other…
Now available for the first time outside of China!
Tea from the He Family Farm
Spring Harvest Laoshan Green
This limited early-spring harvest is an unbelievably creamy tea with the sweetness of oat cereal and vanilla soy milk..Green TeaDETAILS ››
Spring Harvest Dragonwell Style Laoshan Green
An incredibly crisp, commanding tea that balances the sparkling mineral notes of Dragonwell with the sugar-snap pea of Laoshan…Green TeaDETAILS ››
The He family farm is situated on the highest elevation plot on the ocean-facing slope of Laoshan. Mr. and Mrs. He, and their daughter Qingqing farm their 15 acre plot using entirely organic methods of sustainable farming. They plant rows of soybeans between their crops to give the insects something else to eat and to avoid using pesticides, and then mulch the soybeans at the end of the season to use as fertilizer for the soil.
Laoshan Village has never before exported tea, or even sold outside their province. We are the first to make this incredible, and limited harvest tea available outside of China.
Verdant Tea founder David Duckler had the privilege of spending almost two years living near Laoshan and getting to know the farmers while collecting tea folklore for a research project.
What makes Laoshan Green Tea the best in the world?
What a delicious journey this tea provided… think of it as an investment in good taste!LiberTeas,
- Innovative and sustainable family farming from devoted artisans who are paid fair above-market prices for the best of their crop.
- Tea fed from natural artesian spring water known throughout China to be some of the purest and most wholesome in the country
- Ocean mist to naturally shade the tea leaves, protecting them from sunlight and assuring sweet and rich flavor.
- Village-wide commitment to organic farming techniques to keep the tea healthy and fresh for years to come.
- Our commitment to fly each new harvest to our headquarters immediately after it is picked, no matter the cost, allowing us to share the freshest green tea available.
- A deep long lasting relationship with the farmers founded on trust and friendship. We came to them first as researchers interested in tea culture, then friends, and finally for business. The He family trusts Verdant Tea to represent their family and their village with honor, and supplies us with the best tea they have.
Read Stories of Laoshan from our Tea Discovery Blog:
“Those who approach high quality tea from a business perspective first will forever have doors closed to them. Those whose relationships are based on an equal cultural exchange are welcomed…
“Tea is first and foremost a humbling experience in China. Even the particularities of the tea ceremony itself are meant to preserve not obscure this humble quality…
“Through the ritual of preparing the tea, the farmers could achieve the hospitality and beauty of offering the cup without the aid of the leaf…
See video on Laoshan Village at Verdant TV:
A visual journey through the making of Chinese tea. Footage made possible by the Fulbright Fellowship. Scenes from Laoshan, Yuluzirun Plantation, Longjing Village and Qingdao.
A short step-by-step video on brewing Verdant Tea’s Laoshan Dragonwell-Style Green, first using Chinese glass brewing, then using western brewing with a cup and brew basket.