2013 Aged Big Red Robe Mini Cake
2013 Aged Big Red Robe Mini Cake
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2013
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Qi DanTea Varietal
The Li Family is excited to offer
their first ever 100g cake pressing of this special aged tea!
Over the years, Li Xiangxi and her family have spent time exploring the deep rich complexity that aging can bring to their oolongs. Now, they are taking this oolong aging to the next level with full cake pressings, tapping into the family reserve for this 2013 Big Red Robe. This tea was aged loose and carefully hand fired over a low charcoal heat each year during the initial aging process to control moisture and bring out deep textural complexity. Finally, the tea was lightly steamed and pressed in 2021 for aging in cake form. Already, the tea is full of cooling sparkling yun and cedar forest aromatics. It will be exciting to see it continue changing over the years.
- truespice100cedar, sparkling yun, mineralitytruesavory65toasted almond, sweet potatotruespice87cinnamon, sandalwood, junipertruefloral25orchidtruefruit25pomegranate, datesfalse
- spice - cedar, sparkling yun, minerality
- savory - toasted almond, sweet potato
- spice - cinnamon, sandalwood, juniper
- floral - orchid
- fruit - pomegranate, dates
The Li Family also recommends:
- 2022 Rock Milk Wuyi Oolong
Rock Milk or Shi Ru is an uncommon varietal that the Li Family cultivates on their mist-shaded, mountain spring-fed biodiverse plot within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve. The naturally rocky elements of this tea come through even stronger as they take in the deep minerality of the volcanic rocky soil. As a rare offering, Mr. Li takes the time to bring out the rich mouthwatering lingering yun sensation of this tea through the hand firing at low heat for hours needed to bring out the very best. This varietal is an excellent chance to taste the terroir of the region.
- Ten Yr. Aged Full Roast Shui XianOriginally picked in 2007, this Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong has been carefully re-roasted and rested each year for a decade. The aging and careful roasting has brought out beautiful complexity in this tea, pairing Shui Xian's compelling texture with the mineral sweetness and mustiness of age. Sweet savory and salty elements keep the brew cozy and compelling, while sweet florals and intoxicating, evocative aroma make us nostalgic for the Li Family's biodiverse tea groves. This unique selection is not to be missed.
- 2022 Special Grade Shui Jin GuiTo produce a Special Grade offering requires perfect weather, perfectly situated old-growth tea stock, shaded by mist through the spring, expert hand-picking and critically, an exhaustive production process of small batch hand yaoqing and five to six rounds of hand-firing. The Li Family is only able to produce a few kilos of this special tea every year. Li Xiangxi sets aside a small allotment for us because she loves Shui Jin Gui varieties so much that she wants to share what she thinks is one of the truest expressions of Wuyishan with interested tea lovers outside of China. Tasting notes can’t capture the critical tingling cooling sparkling sensation that is yun and the way that it lingers in the back of the throat, building with each sip and letting each steeping build on the potency of the one before.
- 56-820815 seconds5752086 seconds2412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 15 secondsresteep many times
add 5 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.5 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy