2017 Aged Shou Mei Wafer
2017 Aged Shou Mei Wafer
Crafted By the Wu Family
- truevegetal65artichoke, parsniptruefruit30persimmontruefloral35marigoldtruespice55nutmeg, sarsaparillatruesavory40creamtruecrisp, sweet aftertaste
- vegetal - artichoke, parsnip
- fruit - persimmon
- floral - marigold
- spice - nutmeg, sarsaparilla
- savory - cream
- texture - crisp, sweet aftertaste
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2017
- WuyangcunXiapu, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Da BaiTea Varietal
This thin wafer pressing from the Wu Family has been beautifully aged to bring out the deep rich spice that fine Shou Mei develops over time. The tea is pressed into single-steeping wafers. The thin wafer helps all of the tea steep more evenly, while also protecting it for long term aging. The Wu Family’s commitment to biodiversity and allowing their tea bushes to grow more wild and natural without trimming or other intervention really shows in the complexity of the aroma and texture.
The Wu Family also recommends:
- 2018 Shou Mei + Mandarin Peel Dragon PearlsThis new project from the Wu Family incorporates local mandarin orange citrus peel, grown wild on the hillsides around the village of Wuyangcun, with the family’s sweet, flavorful and spice-forward Shou Mei white tea before pressing both together into convenient 5g Dragon Pearls. The 2018 Shou Mei leaf material already displays depth and sweetness from aging made even more apparent blended with the mandarin peel.
- 2021 Shou Mei
The Wu Family's Shou Mei is picked from mature wild-arbor Da Bai varietal tea bushes on their high-elevation biodiverse plot. Their generously downy Shou Mei is a combination of young leaves and buds. This year's 2021 harvest includes small fuzzy buds alongside the mature late spring leaves, brewing up refreshing and balanced - great both for afternoon sipping or cold brewed iced tea.
- 2021 Wild Bai Hao Yin Zhen Plot 2
Bai Hao Yin Zhen is picked entirely from early spring buds, with almost no leaf at all. The result is extremely sweet and thick, with a light flavor but a lingering deep aftertaste and aroma. The biodiversity of the Wu Family’s multi-generational tea garden, left untended for decades yields tea with big rich flavor, the plant's response to competition from other plants and insects. The result is a silver needle with unparalleled refinement but a dynamic structure and energy. This year’s harvest is remarkably creamy while still maintaining a cooling, tingling aftertaste and deep herbaceous undertones.
- 56-819020 seconds10761905 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 190° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 190° watersteep 5 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy