2022 Autumn Reserve Tieguanyin
2022 Autumn Reserve Tieguanyin
Crafted by Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGOctober 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 m
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
Master Zhang has worked for over four decades continuing his family's craft growing true Tieguanyin varietal tea high above Daping village in Anxi. He is working to bring back the original habitat of the region by clearing mountainsides and planting trees, bringing back wildlife and biodiversity, for better tea and a better future. He has won awards across China and has been recognized as one of the leading teachers and craftsman in Anxi for his unique approach to grading teas and processing for flavor. Instead of grading solely by elevation or tree age, Master Zhang holds the "Reserve" designation for the few teas that meet his strict criteria of lingering intensive aftertaste, pervasive sweetness, and thick creamy body. This means that only the leaves whose weather, position in the field and processing come together perfectly can be offered as Master Zhang's reserve. This reserve grade Tieguanyin was hand-picked and hand finished with an exhaustive fluffing and turning process to bring out deep intense aromatics and creamy texture.
- truefloral100daffodil, honey, clovertruefruit90tropical lychee, starfruittruesavory90whipped creamtruespice95fennel seed, cardamomtruevegetal40basil, sweet grasstrueelegant, tingling, minerality
- floral - daffodil, honey, clover
- fruit - tropical lychee, starfruit
- savory - whipped cream
- spice - fennel seed, cardamom
- vegetal - basil, sweet grass
- texture - elegant, tingling, minerality
Master Zhang also recommends:
- 2023 Autumn TieguanyinTrue Tieguanyin varietal stands out for its deep lingering aftertaste, big texture, and the ability to steep out over many infusions. Master Zhang has honed his Tieguanyin cultivation techniques and finishing process over forty years of experimentation, earning the respect of the entire Daping area as a teacher and community leader. He utilizes organic farming techniques, encourages biodiversity, and advocates against wasteful irrigation to encourage healthy and deeply complex and nuanced tea. This modern green style Tieguanyin requires an intense turning and fluffing process in finishing that needs to be adapted on the spot depending on the weather and the aroma, requiring deep experience.
- 2023 Autumn Traditional TieguanyinMaster Zhang excels at finishing his traditional Tieguanyin. He works to bring out the florals and strengthen them, allowing the green quality of the tea to shine through while providing a sweet and nuanced counterbalance through delicate roasting. Master Zhang's award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don't have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes. This is the tea that Master Zhang grew up with and is his greatest passion. The mist shaded mountain air and sweet spring water make this true Tieguanyin varietal tea even more nuanced.
- 1985 Special Grade Qing Xiang Aged TieguanyinThis extremely limited 1985 harvest is unique among Aged Tieguanyin because Master Zhang set aside a reserve grade picking and gave it only light “Qing Xiang” processing, allowing age, not roast, to slowly bring out deep complex flavor. The extremely high quality leaf comes through even thirty years after picking with deep sweet and lingering redwood bark and elderberry fragrance. This tea is a true opportunity to see the potential in aging the finest oolongs.
- 56-820820 seconds10762086 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy