2022 Autumn Traditional Tieguanyin
2022 Autumn Traditional Tieguanyin
Autumn harvest brings more nutty flavor and creamy texture to this Anxi classic. Notes of aloe, violet, caramel and mulling spice.
Autumn 2022 ♦ Traditional Finish
Crafted by Master Zhang
Environmentalist and award-winning craftsman, Master Zhang is committed to pioneering low-impact tea farming that replenishes natural forests on his high elevation Anxi mountain plot.
Master Zhang devotes his energy to introducing rare varietals of tea to increase biodiversity and researching ancient finishing techniques to make rich, aromatic oolong unlike anything else in the world.
- DATE OF PICKINGNovember 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 m
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
Master Zhang excels at finishing his traditional Tieguanyin. He works to bring out the florals and strengthen them, allowing the green quality of the tea to shine through while providing a sweet and nuanced counterbalance through delicate roasting. Master Zhang's award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don't have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes. This is the tea that Master Zhang grew up with and is his greatest passion. The mist shaded mountain air and sweet spring water make this true Tieguanyin varietal tea even more nuanced.
- truespice100ginger, mulling spice, sandalwoodtruesavory80molasses, carameltruefloral50violettruefruit60aloe, papayatruedeep, toasty, juicy
- spice - ginger, mulling spice, sandalwood
- savory - molasses, caramel
- floral - violet
- fruit - aloe, papaya
- texture - deep, toasty, juicy
Master Zhang also recommends
- 2022 Yun Xiang TieguanyinYun is a complex concept. While it can be literally translated as “charm," the yun of a tea is more than simple appeal – yun is what makes the tea powerful and lingering beyond the common concept of aftertaste. Only the finest teas have a perceptible quality that would be described by professional Chinese tasters as yun. While there is no complete agreement on how to put "yun" into words, we notice a light cooling sensation and a tingling almost electrical texture on teas that have yun. This feeling builds up with every sip, making subsequent steepings more and more commanding. Master Zhang creates this through careful charcoal roasting over several long sessions and many days, relying on his experience and senses to get the finish perfectly right.
- 2022 Autumn Reserve Traditional TieguanyinMaster Zhang's work has won awards at conferences in Fujian and Guangdong for his incredible craft in traditional Tieguanyin finishing. This autumn, we are excited to once again offer his reserve designation harvest with a traditional finish, undoubtedly Master Zhang's favorite tea to make and share with friends. Master Zhang's award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don't have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes. Instead of simply designating his higher elevation teas as "Reserve," Master Zhang holds back this title to only the very few pickings that meet his criteria of intense aroma, lingering pervasive aftertaste, rich deep florals, light cooling sensations, and creamy texture. The conditions while picking and processing only rarely come together to facilitate a tea that hits every thing that Master Zhang strives for. This limited harvest embraces his award-winning ideals for a stunning brew.
- 2023 Spring TieguanyinMaster Zhang is proud to be sharing true Tieguanyin varietal oolong, fed by mountain spring water and grown without pesticides or fertilizers under the high mountain mist. Most Tieguanyin sold is actually Benshan or other similar varietals which lack the long drawn out aftertaste of Tieguanyin. The biodiversity of Daping lends complexity and depth of flavor to this tea, with a compelling combination of fresh aroma, clean flavor and compelling aftertaste.
- 56-820820 seconds105620810 seconds2512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 10 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy