2022 Ba Xian Dancong
2022 Ba Xian Dancong
Ancient Dancong Named for
the Daoist immortals
the Daoist immortals
Huang Ruiguang still tends several of the original unique 8 trees that stood side by side and earned the name "Ba Xian" (8 Immortals). Meticulous hand-finished for notes of pine resin and mandarin orange with a cooling powerful aftertaste.
Spring 2022 ♦ Wudongshan, Guangdong
Crafted by Huang Rui Guang
Recognized by Chaozhou as a living cultural treasure, Master Huang Ruiguang is the grandfather of modern Dancong. His status and award-winning history give him and his family picking rights to one of the best old-growth Dancong plots in Wudongshan.
Huang Ruiguang is devoted to continuing his work as a steward of rare ancient Dancong and as a teacher to nearly every family in the village, setting the standard for what defines the very best in competition-level taste, texture and aroma.
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2022
- Wudong ShanGuangdong Province
- ELEVATION1000 METERS
- Ba XianTea Varietal
八仙 or Ba Xian references the eight Taoist immortals, a truly evocative name for a truly unique tea. Huang Ruiguang says that originally, there were eight trees growing next to each other, each with a different flavor and appearance, like the Taoist Immortals. Today, five of the eight original trees still remain. Huang Ruiguang’s tree has one of the most perfectly situated east-facing high elevation slopes on Wudongshan, earned for a lifetime of contribution to Fenghuang as an agricultural pioneer and master taster. His Ba Xian Dancong is lush and juicy, full of tropical flower and fruit flavors, coaxed out over 24 hours of intense hand processing.
- truespice100allspice, ginger, pinetruefloral100orchid, gardeniatruefruit100juicy tangerinetruesavory88red velvet cakefalsetruemineral, vaporous
- spice - allspice, ginger, pine
- floral - orchid, gardenia
- fruit - juicy tangerine
- savory - red velvet cake
- texture - mineral, vaporous
Huang Ruiguang also recommends
- 2022 Da Wu Ye DancongDa Wu Ye is a truly unique varietal in its intense savory and spicy notes. While most Dancong is all about perfumed floral aromatics, this tea is about texture and flavor. Da Wu Ye varietal takes its name from the unusually large deep green leaves. This harvest comes from mid-elevation Wudongshan stock, picked once a year and processed over 24 hours to bring out the deep savory undertones.
- 2022 Ji Long Kan DancongHuang Ruiguang’s Ji Long Kan Dancong is an incredibly unique high elevation tea. The Ji Long Kan tea tree gets its name from its similarity to a "chicken pen" in appearance. Huang Rui Guang and his sons hand picked and hand processed over 24 hours of continuous intensive labor to bring out all the nuanced fruit and florals. The biodiversity of the region and unique microclimate lends a cooling ‘yun’ sensation to this tea for a persistent and commanding taste experience. Master Huang's work in Dancong tasting and agriculture has won him countless awards and recognition, a biography in a 2015 published book on the history of Dancong, and leadership in every convention and tasting event in Guangdong. This tea represents his personal selection to represent the absolute best of what his family produces, and only a few kilograms are available each year. We are excited for the chance to share this incredibly rare tea.
- 2022 Xing Ren Xiang DancongXing Ren Xiang, or Almond Aroma is a uniquely savory nut-forward varietal that Huang Ruiguang and his family pick once a year from single bushes cultivated in Wudongshan. These bushes are not pruned back and picked sparingly to encourage deeper roots and more robust flavor year after year. The Huang Family’s meticulous hand processing yields a distinct roasted almond flavor, with notes of cooling pine.
- 5-106-820820 seconds101062086 seconds4512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu10 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 4 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy