2022 Black Buds Jin Jun Mei
2022 Black Buds Jin Jun Mei
Crafted By the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGspring 2022
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- XINGCUN XIAOZHONGTea Varietal
Xingcun Xiaozhong varietal tea in Wuyishan can produce black and gold buds. While the golden bud expression has been encouraged through cultivation for its stunning color, Li Xiangxi and her family often prefer the depth and complexity of black buds. This tea still uses the same tiny buds and the same meticulous hand-picking as their golden buds Jin Jun Mei, but with a more spiced and savory flavor profile.
- truesavory65almond brittle, cocoa, mapletruespice70allspicetruefruit65concord grapetruefloral60vanilla, honeytruevelvety, juicy
- savory - almond brittle, cocoa, maple
- spice - allspice
- fruit - concord grape
- floral - vanilla, honey
- texture - velvety, juicy
the Li Family also recommends:
- 2022 Wuyi Gongfu Black
Li Xiangxi works with her brother and cousins in the Wuyi Ecological Preserve to harvest this propagated-from-seed Xiaozhong varietal leaf and process it using traditional heap oxidization techniques and curling to bring out the tea’s natural complexity. Grown on a hillside in a ravine that collects a pocket of natural mist all morning, the tea buds slowly, yielding an incredibly sweet brew. The tea picks up mineral texture from the rocky volcanic soil and the natural spring water running through the Li Family’s plot. Deeper complexity comes from the natural genetic variation of allowing their Xiaozhong tea to grow from seed instead of cuttings, creating a rich multi-layered taste experience.
- 2022 Jin Jun MeiJin Jun Mei Wuyi black tea is one of the most labor intensive and demanding teas to produce. Fine Jin Jun Mei is made exclusively from tiny spring buds, and requires thousands and thousands of hand-picked golden buds to make a single pound of finished tea. The result is a downy tea with a thick full texture, and a beautiful elegance. Li Xiangxi's spring-fed tea grows out of rocky, sandy soil, yielding a rich mineral flavor true to Wuyishan's unique terroir.
- Wild Tongmu Jin Jun MeiWild Tongmu Jin Jun Mei is an experience unlike any other black tea. This is a very quiet and very contemplative tasting experience. Li Xiangxi and her family normally only pick this tea by commission because it is so difficult to produce. We were lucky enough to be in Tongmu just a few days before picking and were able to commission a half kilo of this tea. Li Xiangxi wanted to share this tea because it is the clearest, most perfect expression of the flavor of her family’s mountain plot in Tongmu. It is an unmatched textural experience that evokes the mountain spring water, dramatic rocks, and bamboo forest.
- 4620815 seconds10551955 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 15 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 195° watersteep 5 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy