2023 Black Buds Jin Jun Mei
2023 Black Buds Jin Jun Mei
Crafted By the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGspring 2022
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- XINGCUN XIAOZHONGTea Varietal
Xingcun Xiaozhong varietal tea in Wuyishan can produce black and gold buds. While the golden bud expression has been encouraged through cultivation for its stunning color, Li Xiangxi and her family often prefer the depth and complexity of black buds. This tea still uses the same tiny buds and the same meticulous hand-picking as their golden buds Jin Jun Mei, but with a more spiced and savory flavor profile.
- truesavory90milk, pumpkin, chocolatetruefruit70pomegranatetruespice80cinnamon, nutmegtruefloral50vanillatruevelvety
- savory - milk, pumpkin, chocolate
- fruit - pomegranate
- spice - cinnamon, nutmeg
- floral - vanilla
- texture - velvety
the Li Family also recommends:
- 2023 Jin Jun MeiJin Jun Mei Wuyi black tea is one of the most labor intensive and demanding teas to produce. Fine Jin Jun Mei is made exclusively from tiny spring buds, and requires thousands and thousands of hand-picked golden buds to make a single pound of finished tea. The result is a downy tea with a thick full texture, and a beautiful elegance. Li Xiangxi's spring-fed tea grows out of rocky, sandy soil, yielding a rich mineral flavor true to Wuyishan's unique terroir.
- 2023 Wuyi Gongfu Black
Li Xiangxi works with her brother and cousins in the Wuyi Ecological Preserve to harvest this propagated-from-seed Xiaozhong varietal leaf and process it using traditional heap oxidization techniques and curling to bring out the tea’s natural complexity. Grown on a hillside in a ravine that collects a pocket of natural mist all morning, the tea buds slowly, yielding an incredibly sweet brew. The tea picks up mineral texture from the rocky volcanic soil and the natural spring water running through the Li Family’s plot. Deeper complexity comes from the natural genetic variation of allowing their Xiaozhong tea to grow from seed instead of cuttings, creating a rich multi-layered taste experience.
- 2023 Tongmu Reserve Jin Jun Mei
It takes thousands of buds to make an ounce of this tea, hand-picked near Li Xiangxi’s old family home in Tongmu, in a protected ravine with wild bamboo, orange trees and native flowers growing around old growth wild tea bushes. Once a year in the early spring, Li Xiangxi and her family pick the tiny golden buds off the cultivated tea bushes growing below her family home. The beautiful golden color and flavor of this carefully cultivated Jin Jun Mei (Golden Eyebrows) makes it one of the most prized teas in China.
- 4620815 seconds10551955 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 15 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 195° watersteep 5 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy