2023 Anxi Ba Xian
2023 Anxi Ba Xian
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 m
- Ba XianTea Varietal
Ba Xian is a rare cultivar pioneered from old rootstock in Fenghuang, Guangdong that yields beautiful textural depth, lingering sparkling complexity and rich aromatics given the right soil conditions and expert craftsmanship. Master Zhang is a colleague of famous Dancong pioneer Huang Ruiguang, and was able to transplant several old Ba Xian plants from Wudongshan to his own fields above Daping in Anxi. These plants have been left mostly unpicked and untrimmed for years, giving them a wild appearance. Master Zhang has picked a limited quantity of his Ba Xian to share. The result is packed with deep minerality, “yun” and creamy florals - a powerful and commanding tea.
- truesavory75sticky ricetruespice85pine, rosemarytruefruit70goji, junipertruefloral70elderflowertruepowerfully cooling yun
- savory - sticky rice
- spice - pine, rosemary
- fruit - goji, juniper
- floral - elderflower
- texture - powerfully cooling yun
Zhang Rongde also recommends:
- 2005 Aged Wulong RevivalThe “Dragonfly” style was the most traditional oolong finishing technique in Anxi before the rolled ball became popular. Master Zhang has been experimenting with this style for years as part of his work as a teacher and community leader for other farmers in Daping. Every year Master Zhang sets aside any interesting standouts for long term aging, which requires re-roasting every year to keep the moisture level as low as possible. The slow process of change brings out deep complexity and dark sweet undertones over many years. Master Zhang is sharing a portion of his personal reserve from early experiments for his revival project, giving us the chance to taste the first truly aged Revival Style Anxi oolong from Daping.
- 2023 Spring Anxi Rou Gui
Rou Gui is better known as a roasted oolong from Wuyi, famous in Wuyi for its intense and aromatic cinnamon flavor. Master Zhang's Rou Gui varietal bushes grow among Tieguanyin fields and wildflowers, and benefit from sweet mountain spring water. Master Zhang's careful finish on this unique rolled Anxi Rou Gui brings out not just rich cinnamon spice, but also dessert-like complexity and aftertaste.
- 2023 Original Wulong Revival
Master Zhang is a true innovator. He doesn’t make tea to follow trends. He experiments and takes risks to make tea better for the generations to come. This Original Wulong Revival uses the older Ben Shan varietal leaf and undergoes three times more careful hand turning and fluffing than modern Anxi oolong. For finishing, it is loosely rolled in the oldest style of oolong making that is half strip style and half ball, with many of the leaves more strip-style than rolled. Master Zhang describes the shape as a dragonfly. This hand processing and shaping yields a different tea - a genre of its own outside of Wuyi style, Guangdong style or Anxi style. The light roast is rewarding and brings out a unique savory sweet complexity we don’t see in other teas from Master Zhang.
- 56-821230 seconds15-305521210 seconds35122128 hours
oz.use 212° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 212° watersteep 10 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy