2021 Dark Roast Anxi Ruan Zhi
2021 Dark Roast Anxi Ruan Zhi
Crafted By Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 meters
- Ruan ZhiTea Varietal
Master Zhang brings a new perspective to this beloved varietal with his meticulous and delicate multi-day dark roast process. Ruan Zhi or “Soft Stem” is sometimes better known as "Qing Xin" varietal, used in Taiwan to produce Dong Ding and Baozhong and in Thailand for Doi Mai Salong. While Taiwanese Ruan Zhi tends towards creamy or nutty, Master Zhang’s Daping Village Ruan Zhi is taut and almost crystalline with deep cooling yun sensation, smoldering spice in the aftertaste and beautiful Anxi florals. The dark roast keeps every element in perfect balance.
- truefruit95candied orange peel, elderberrytruespice95clove, cinnamontruesavory50sweet rye breadtruefloral45lilikoi blossomstruemineral-laden, warming lingering spice
- fruit - candied orange peel, elderberry
- spice - clove, cinnamon
- savory - sweet rye bread
- floral - lilikoi blossoms
- texture - mineral-laden, warming lingering spice
Zhang Rongde also recommends:
- Rare Varietal Anxi Oolong Tasting Kit
This bundle includes six 25g bags of Anxi oolong tea for 150g total (30 sessions). With one of the highest elevation, most pristine perfectly-situated plots for Tieguanyin in the world, it would make perfect sense for Master Zhang to devote every inch of land to this famous and in-demand varietal. Yet, Master Zhang does the opposite. Over the last decade, he has reclaimed the majority of his Daping mountainside for bamboo, evergreens and wildflowers. The precious rocky terraces he has left, carved into steep hills, he devotes not just to the famous Tieguanyin, but to dozens of rare, unknown varietals.
Master Zhang fosters these tiny groves of rare tea to preserve biodiversity and have a local “seed bank” of sorts, allowing hearty individual tea bushes to grow and thrive in Daping so that other farmers and colleagues could grow new plants from cuttings, and study the way their famous terroir changes with each varietal.
The benefit for all of us is getting to dive deep and experience rare out there flavors, textures and aromas- all unique expressions of Master Zhang’s craft and terroir. Every tea in this kit expresses the "core" sweet minerality of Daping, but from unique and incredible perspectives not often tasted in a region so dedicated to Tieguanyin.Regular Price $63.65 $50.92
- 2005 Aged Wulong RevivalThe “Dragonfly” style was the most traditional oolong finishing technique in Anxi before the rolled ball became popular. Master Zhang has been experimenting with this style for years as part of his work as a teacher and community leader for other farmers in Daping. Every year Master Zhang sets aside any interesting standouts for long term aging, which requires re-roasting every year to keep the moisture level as low as possible. The slow process of change brings out deep complexity and dark sweet undertones over many years. Master Zhang is sharing a portion of his personal reserve from early experiments for his revival project, giving us the chance to taste the first truly aged Revival Style Anxi oolong from Daping.
- 2023 Spring Anxi Rou Gui
Rou Gui is better known as a roasted oolong from Wuyi, famous in Wuyi for its intense and aromatic cinnamon flavor. Master Zhang's Rou Gui varietal bushes grow among Tieguanyin fields and wildflowers, and benefit from sweet mountain spring water. Master Zhang's careful finish on this unique rolled Anxi Rou Gui brings out not just rich cinnamon spice, but also dessert-like complexity and aftertaste.
- 56-820830 seconds105620810 seconds2512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 10 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy