2023 Fo Shou
2023 Fo Shou
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Fo ShouTea Varietal
Fo Shou, or "Buddha's Hand," varietal is a more exotic and luscious tea in the Li Family collection. The Fo Shou is a wonderfully nuanced citrus fruit, and this tea gets its name for its Fo Shou citrus aromas. The citrus is bolstered by a cinnamon and sandalwood spice, a beautiful compliment brought out through slow hand-firing over low heat. The uniquely large leaves of the Fo Shou varietal unfold beautifully over many infusions.
- truefruit85citron honeytruefloral70gardenia, orchidtruespice70galangal, cardamomtruesavory30turbinado sugartruehoneyed, aromatic, cooling
- fruit - citron honey
- floral - gardenia, orchid
- spice - galangal, cardamom
- savory - turbinado sugar
- texture - honeyed, aromatic, cooling
'The Wuyishan Ecological Preserve was shaped by ancient volcanoes, giving it a mix of extremely rocky and sandy soil. This soil contributes to the flavor of the region’s tea though regulating water drainage and encouraging deeper roots, as well as through its mineral-rich mix of nutrients the tea absorbs as it grows.'
the Li Family also recommends
- 2023 Jin Qian Wuyi OolongAfter a 24 hour withering and oxidizing process, this tea was hand-fired over another 16 hours, rested, and re-fired five times, then allowed to rest a full month before release. Why does Mr. Li choose to invest so much hand labor into this tea? The weather for this Ban Tian Yao harvest came together so perfectly with the inherent fruity flavors of the varietal that he was confident that he could coax out deep spiced complexity to complement the fruity notes for a true reserve offering. The result is spectacular; not only is this the most nuanced harvest we have tasted, but the fig cake richness is actually tempered by a piney cooling yun sensation, rounding this out as a powerful and commanding tea.
- 2022 Bai Rui XiangThe Bai Rui is the Winter Daphne, a flower native to China with an intensely sweet fruity aroma. This rich incense-forward varietial shares those heady perfumed overtones with its namesake, along with the rare and sought-after yun xiang, the cooling tingling sensation that build up in the back of the throat. The Li Family finishes their Bai Rui Xiang as a ‘reserve’ quality tea, using a meticulous twelve hour hand-firing to bring out deep complexity. The minerality of the family’s volcanic rocky mountainside plot comes through as a textural foundation for the spices to build on, resulting in a balanced, beautifully structured Wuyi Oolong.
- 2022 Rock Milk Wuyi Oolong
Rock Milk or Shi Ru is an uncommon varietal that the Li Family cultivates on their mist-shaded, mountain spring-fed biodiverse plot within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve. The naturally rocky elements of this tea come through even stronger as they take in the deep minerality of the volcanic rocky soil. As a rare offering, Mr. Li takes the time to bring out the rich mouthwatering lingering yun sensation of this tea through the hand firing at low heat for hours needed to bring out the very best. This varietal is an excellent chance to taste the terroir of the region.
- 4620840 seconds305620815-20 seconds15512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 40 secondsresteep many times
add 30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 15-20 seconds
add 15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy