2021 Flat Pressed Laoshan Green
2021 Flat Pressed Laoshan Green
Crafted By the He Family
- truesavory100salted almond, malt, semolinatruevegetal70cucumber skin, minttruespice45ginger, cardamomtruefruit50mandarin orangetruemineral-driven
- savory - salted almond, malt, semolina
- vegetal - cucumber skin, mint
- spice - ginger, cardamom
- fruit - mandarin orange
- texture - mineral-driven
- DATE OF PICKINGMay 2021
- Laoshan VillageShandong Province
- ELEVATIONsea level
- longjing quntiTea Varietal
The flat-pressing process that Mr. He uses to finish this reserve spring harvest is inspired by Dragonwell green tea. In fact, Laoshan tea was originally brought to the area from Dragonwell, so for this cultivar, flat-pressing is a return to its origins. The day-long labor-intensive process to finish this delicate tea makes for beautiful leaves to brew in glass. The flavor is lighter but the aroma and sweetness more pronounced with flat-pressing. The flat-pressing technique really allows the subtle complexity of this season’s harvest to shine through. This May harvest is picked once the protective winter greenhouses are removed and the risk of frost has passed.
The He Family also recommends:
- 2023 Reserve Laoshan Gongfu Black
True Competition-Level Black Tea from Laoshan. This is the earliest, sweetest, most delicate harvest of the year, meticulously hand-rolled and twisted in the style of high-end Wuyi tea. The "gongfu" finish brings out notes of nutmeg, brown sugar, and fine dark chocolate.
- 2023 Laoshan Huai Flower TeaThe Huai Flower of the Scholar's Tree grows wild across the slopes of Laoshan. The aromatic little flowers have been used in Chinese medicine for hundreds of years for anti-inflammatory properties. The He Family has been wild-foraging and brewing Huai Hua for as long as they can remember, but this year again they decided to apply their meticulous green tea processing to these unique flowers, including withering, heat fixing, curling and drying. The flowers partially oxidize during these processes, bringing out deep complexity and lingering sweet aftertaste.
- Reserve Flat Pressed Laoshan Green
This special hand picked, hand made tea was picked this year during the early shade-grown spring harvest in mid-April, with the He Family's greenhouse protection against the cold of Laoshan's unique northern climate. With the greenhouse protection still in place, the tea plants grow slowly for textural intensity and sweetness unique to shade-grown tea. The flat-pressing process that Mr. He uses to finish this fresh spring harvest is inspired by Dragonwell green tea. In fact, Laoshan tea was originally brought to the area from Dragonwell, so for this cultivar, flat-pressing is a return to its origins. The day-long labor-intensive process to finish this delicate tea makes for beautiful leaves to brew in glass. The flavor is lighter but the aroma and sweetness more pronounced with flat-pressing.
"In recent years, spring has fluctuated between freezing nights and warm days, forcing the He Family to leave their greenhouse covers on longer, but this year, the nights were temperate enough to remove the greenhouse covers early, letting the buds slowly form in the open ocean air. The results are spectacular, one of the first harvests in many years to line up with ideal conditions..."
- 46-817520 seconds10461758 seconds4412room temp8 hours
oz.use 175° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.6 ozuse 175° watersteep 8 seconds
add 4 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy