2021 Longjuan Spring Tieguanyin
2021 Longjuan Spring Tieguanyin
Crafted By the Liu Family
- truesavory60creamytruefloral70vanillatruefruit70juicy melontruespice70ginseng, licoricetruevegetal55cucmbertruecreamy, tingling minerality
- savory - creamy
- floral - vanilla
- fruit - juicy melon
- spice - ginseng, licorice
- vegetal - cucmber
- texture - creamy, tingling minerality
- DATE OF PICKINGMay 2021
- LongjuanAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION700 m
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
The Liu Family has been quietly cultivating incredible 'off the beaten path' Tieguanyin for generations on their mountaintop family plot. Their old-growth tea plants benefit from deep roots, rocky soil and daily clouds and mist shading the plants from excess sun. The result is a complex Tieguanyin full of classic creamy notes, along with a unique spiced quality that expresses the Longjuan climate.
The Liu Family also recommends:
- 2021 Tieguanyin Jin Jun MeiWhile Tieguanyin Xiaozhong uses smaller leaves for a traditional black tea, the Liu Family'a Tieguanyin Jin Jun Mei uses large Tieguanyin buds, orange with down, for a unique and particularly uncommon offering. This is a chance to taste the rich, sweet and savory flavor of bud material in the naturally floral Tieguanyin varietal. This tea is a clear demonstration that farmers like the Liu Family are not tied by tradition to only make what is currently accepted with the varietals they grow.
- Tieguanyin Xiao Zhong Mini Cake
This fun, experimental black tea is pressed after finishing into single-serving 7g mini-cakes. Like the Liu Family's loose leaf Tieguanyin XIao Zhong, the inspiration for this tea is Wuyi Xiao Zhong, a traditional and full-bodied black tea from Wuyishan (sometimes smoked with special pine wood). You might expect a bracing and full bodied tea, but when you taste this Tieguanyin varietal processed as a pressed black tea, you find something different. The Liu Family has created a tea that is full of juicy fruity notes, rich spice and savory undertones. The mini-cake format of this tea makes for convenient brewing, aging and transportation.
- 2010 Aged Tieguanyin Mini CakeThis 7g pressing from the Liu Family in Longjuan captures the depth, complexity and nuance of their early experiment aged Tieguanyin pressings in a convenient size for single session brewing. To age Tieguanyin, the Liu Family needs to reroast yearly for up to five years to control for moisture and ensure slow even change. Beyond the traditional notes of "lao tie," this pressed and aged oolong has a medicinal and cooling quality and bright foresty texture all its own.
'There are just so many people turning out jin after jin of modern green or traditional rolled Tieguanyin... Instead, the Liu family has been exploring more uncommon styles, like the Tieguanyin black teas Mr. Liu has been making since just before his children (now with children of their own!) were born'
- 56-820530 seconds15-305520510 seconds5-65122128 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 205° watersteep 10 seconds
add 5-6 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy