2023 Mei Zhan Wuyi Oolong
2023 Mei Zhan Wuyi Oolong
Crafted By the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Mei ZhanTea Varietal
Mei Zhan varietal's uniquely long leaves yield a big bold flavor and an aroma that fills a room. Mei zhan is typically full of big fruity flavor and a strong savory foundation. The Li family heightens the fruity aromatics with their expert roasting and finishing for evocative dark stone fruit and citrus. The biodiversity and rocky soil of the Li Family’s plot within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve.
- savory - toasted rice, maple syrup
- spice - cinnamon
- fruit - cherry
- floral - vanilla, violet
- texture - tingling, thick
the Li Family also recommends:
- 2023 Dark Roast Ban Tian YaoAfter a 24 hour withering and oxidizing process, this tea was hand-fired over another 16 hours, rested, and re-fired five times, then allowed to rest a full month before release. Why does Mr. Li choose to invest so much hand labor into this tea? The weather for this Ban Tian Yao harvest came together so perfectly with the inherent fruity flavors of the varietal that he was confident that he could coax out deep spiced complexity to complement the fruity notes for a true reserve offering. The result is spectacular; not only is this the most nuanced harvest we have tasted, but the fig cake richness is actually tempered by a piney cooling yun sensation, rounding this out as a powerful and commanding tea.
- 2023 Dark Roast Shui Xian
Shui Xian is named after the Narcissus flower (or Daffodil), and the dark roast on this Shui Xian brings out beautiful florals in contrast with dark forest and wood notes. Mr. Li hand-fired this batch of Shui Xian to give its cooling texture even more sparkling, tingling intensity. Shui Xian varietal is known for its foresty woody flavors and deep lingering texture. The Li Family’s biodiverse forested tea gardens within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve help play up the varietals natural complexity.
- Ten Yr. Aged Full Roast Shui XianOriginally picked in 2007, this Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong has been carefully re-roasted and rested each year for a decade. The aging and careful roasting has brought out beautiful complexity in this tea, pairing Shui Xian's compelling texture with the mineral sweetness and mustiness of age. Sweet savory and salty elements keep the brew cozy and compelling, while sweet florals and intoxicating, evocative aroma make us nostalgic for the Li Family's biodiverse tea groves. This unique selection is not to be missed.
'The Wuyishan Ecological Preserve was shaped by ancient volcanoes, giving it a mix of extremely rocky and sandy soil. This soil contributes to the flavor of the region’s tea though regulating water drainage and encouraging deeper roots, as well as through its mineral-rich mix of nutrients the tea absorbs as it grows.'
oz.use 208° watersteep 15 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 5 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy