Ming Hua Xiang Tieguanyin
Ming Hua Xiang Tieguanyin
Crafted By Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 M
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
"Ming Hua Xiang" literally describes tea flower aroma – the scent of camellia sinensis in bloom! The tea flowers blossoming around Daping village are an incredible and potent aroma, perfuming the fields in early autumn. Tieguanyin varietal has a unique marigold and honey aroma, and a dark floral quality. Master Zhang’s careful processing brings out a soothing savory sweetness, accented with rich lingering spice and warm florals.
- truefloral80marigold, tea flowertruefruit75cranberrytruesavory55plantain, sesametruevegetal60pinetruespice70sandalwood, nutmegtruemouth-watering
- floral - marigold, tea flower
- fruit - cranberry
- savory - plantain, sesame
- vegetal - pine
- spice - sandalwood, nutmeg
- texture - mouth-watering
'Master Zhang calls these teas his little experiments, and this year-long work means he is always working to challenge himself, collaborate, learn and explore. These teas don’t make it to market, shared only within a close personal network of trusted friends. Out of all of his experiments this autumn, Master Zhang hand picked these five new teas to share with all of you'
Master Zhang also recommends
- 2022 Special Grade Autumn Tieguanyin
Master Zhang takes his Special Grade designation seriously. In order for a batch to be set aside as Special Grade, it has to meet an incredibly high standard of sweetness, a long lingering aftertaste, and thick balanced texture and evocative aroma. It takes the perfect combination of high elevation rocky soil, cool stand-out weather during the growing season and on the picking and finishing days. In the autumn it is even rarer to get these perfect windows, so we are excited to be sharing this harvest for teh first time. This extremely limited special grade Tieguanyin was hand-picked and hand finished over an exhaustive day and a half fluffing and turning process to bring out deep intense florals and creamy texture. The true flavor of the Tieguanyin varietal is preserved with Master Zhang’s expert green finish.
- 2021 Autumn Reserve Traditional TieguanyinMaster Zhang's work has won awards at conferences in Fujian and Guangdong for his incredible craft in traditional Tieguanyin finishing. This autumn, we are excited to once again offer his reserve designation harvest with a traditional finish, undoubtedly Master Zhang's favorite tea to make and share with friends. Master Zhang's award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don't have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes. Instead of simply designating his higher elevation teas as "Reserve," Master Zhang holds back this title to only the very few pickings that meet his criteria of intense aroma, lingering pervasive aftertaste, rich deep florals, light cooling sensations, and creamy texture. The conditions while picking and processing only rarely come together to facilitate a tea that hits every thing that Master Zhang strives for. This limited harvest embraces his award-winning ideals for a stunning brew.
- 2021 Autumn Traditional Mao XieThis is arguably Daping Village’s most “classic” tea. Mao Xie varietal is native to the area and grew on the mountains above Daping long before Tieguanyin was planted. Master Zhang’s labor-intensive traditional finish hearkens back to the style before the modern green oolong trend became popular and all Anxi teas were finished with at least a light roast and oxidation. Mao Xie translates to “hairy crab,” a reference to the appearance of the leaves. A classic traditional finish on Mao Xie brings out the iconic savory notes in the varietal and makes it taste almost pastry-like.
- 56-820820 seconds10762086 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy