2023 Osmanthus Scented Dragonwell
2023 Osmanthus Scented Dragonwell
First Scented Tea
Crafted by Mrs. Li
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Longjing VillageZhejiang Province
- ELEVATION300 meters
- longjing quntiTea Varietal
For the second year, award-winning Li Xiaoping has set aside her beautifully-crisp textural masterpiece that is Shi Feng Dragonwell and scented it with fresh osmanthus blossoms. Her incredible plot sits on a quartz-laden rocky hillside in the tiny Shi Feng microclimate, where sweet mountain spring water, designated national treasure protection from development, and misty mornings yield sweet clean nuanced green tea that sets the standard for all green tea in China. With such famous and in demand tea, it is remarkable that Li Xiaoping is still incentivized to do such bold experiments like this osmanthus scenting, but we're so happy she did! The results are spectacular and perfectly balanced. The osmanthus notes are light, accentuating the natural sweet juicy qualities of the Dragonwell.
- truefloral80honey osmanthustruefruit70jujubetruesavory50macadamiatruespice60junipertruevegetal65basiltruecrisp, mineral-driven
- floral - honey osmanthus
- fruit - jujube
- savory - macadamia
- spice - juniper
- vegetal - basil
- texture - crisp, mineral-driven
Li Xiaoping also recommends:
- 2023 Shi Feng Dragonwell
This famous tea is grown using beyond organic green tea cultivation techniques for rich sweet flavor, incredible texture and notes of bamboo and jasmine. Situated on a perfectly-shaded mountainside, Li Xiaoping’s Dragonwell benefits from Shi Feng’s unique climate, rocky quartz soil and sweet mountain springs. Her craft captures a rare example of true Dragonwell- deep minerality, persistent sweetness and complex aromatics.
- 2023 Shi Feng Longjing #43Dragonwell varietal #43 has been carefully bred and selected in the last fifty years as a new tea well suited to Shi Feng’s terroir. It buds earlier and in colder weather than classic Longjing Qunti varietal and yields yellower plumper buds that make for gorgeous steeping in glassware. While classic Dragonwell is all about rocky mineral texture, the new #43 is a crisp, bright focused experience centered around stronger flavor and aroma and more pronounced sweetness. Mrs. Li’s #43 varietal is true Shi Feng Dragonwell, growing on one of the highest slopes of the tiny microclimate that Emperor Qianlong declared as one of the best in the world for tea. The soil is full of quartz and white sand while the water comes from natural mountain springs, yielding a flavor that simply can’t be matched outside of Shi Feng itself.
- 2023 Shi Feng Dragonwell Black Tea
For the sixth year in a row, Li Xiaoping is sharing her new Dragonwell Black Tea! She uses the same delicate early buds as her famous green tea, hand-picked from the slopes of Shi Feng, raised on sweet mountain spring water and covered in high elevation mist to protect against sunlight. After light twisting and rolling, this sweet, rich and distinctly mineral-laden tea is then set out in bamboo baskets and loosely covered for ten to fifteen hours and allowed to oxidize in the afternoon heat. This oxidation process brings out savory malty flavors in Li Xiaoping’s Dragonwell that show the unique texture of the region in a completely different light.
- 46-817530 seconds15461758 seconds5412room temp8 hours
oz.use 175° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.6 ozuse 175° watersteep 8 seconds
add 5 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy