2014 Gong Ting Shu Cake
2014 Gong Ting Shu Cake
Crafted by the Dongsa Cooperative
- DATE OF PICKINGMarch 2014
- Qianjiazhai Mt. Ailao
- V. AssamicaTea Varietal
Master Zhou and his students in the Qianjiazhai Dongsa Cooperative hand-carved a 100g cake stone mold for their collaboration with Verdant and selected a beautiful 2014 looseleaf Gong Ting harvest to hand-press. This Gong Ting cake is made from only small buds picked from trees around one hundred years of age in the early spring before Qingming festival. This tea was allowed to age loose for two years, giving it a sweet and extremely clean profile. The bud material yields a thick rich mouthfeel.
- truefloral65spearminttruespice45semolina breadtruefruit45juniper
- floral - spearmint
- spice - semolina bread
- fruit - juniper
the Dongsa Cooperative also recommends:
- 2014 Shu Pu'er NuggetsThis tea is a new experiment from one of Master Zhou's former students, another member of the cooperative. Qianjiazhai one hundred to three hundred year wild-picked leaves and buds are pile-fermented until they clump together in tight balls in the heat. The balls ferment and age differently than loose tea and yield a rich vanilla-heavy flavor that is impossible to steep out.
- 2014 Qianjiazhai Yi Ji Shu Pu'erMaster Zhou works with his students in the Qianjiazhai Dongsa Cooperative to start introducing shu pu’er fermentation and crafting techniques more widely across the mountain. This stunningly clean, rich and foresty example is crafted from pre-Qingming harvest maocha picked from one hundred to five hundred year trees. Even with only three years of aging, it displays the clean rich complexity normally only seen on shu pu’er a decade old or older.
- Gong Ting Shu Dragon Pearls
The Cooperative's first-ever shu pu’er dragon pearl pressing, this tea is made with beautiful little 2014 buds, allowed to ferment slowly under natural moisture conditions for a sweet and clean flavor profile that shows off the herbaceous side of Qianjaizhai. The loosely pressed. dragon pearls are compact enough for long-term aging and small enough to allow for single brew sessions without having to break apart a bigger cake of tea. The loose hand-twisted compression allows for better and more even aging than anything a machine could achieve.
'This Spring, we were lucky to return to Qianjiazhai to meet more of the talented people behind Qianjiazhai’s old tree pu’er and black tea. Through the cooperative, these families and individuals can work together the share resources and knowledge, teaching and learning from each other while protecting and acting as stewards over tea trees in the oldest tea forest in the world'
- 46-820530 seconds15-304620510 seconds10-30412room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.6 ozuse 205° watersteep 10 seconds
add 10-30 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy