Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2022
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- Qi LanTea Varietal
Qilan varieties is almost legendary for its deep luscious orchid notes and its subtle incense spice. The Li Family cultivates established 40+ year Qilan bushes on their rocky volcanic mountainside plot in the Wuyishan Ecological Preserve, letting the tea build complexity through biodiverse plantings, and carefully preserved natural forest cover. They hand-pick their Qilan and expertly bring out the florals through hand-crafting over a meticulous 12 hour turning and fluffing process called yaoqing. The careful and restrained roast on this Qilan really allows the florals to shine through, bolstered by the rocky minerality that the Li Family’s teas are famous for.
- truespice80sweet sandalwood, temple incensetruefruit75passionfruit, guavatruefloral100honey orchid, jasminetruesavory55caramel apple, brown sugarfalsetrueringing, cooling, powerful
- spice - sweet sandalwood, temple incense
- fruit - passionfruit, guava
- floral - honey orchid, jasmine
- savory - caramel apple, brown sugar
- texture - ringing, cooling, powerful
the Li Family also recommends
- 2022 Big Red RobeLi Xiangxi's family grows this tea within the Wuyishan Ecological Preserve, hand picking every leaf and delicately roasting this tea in bamboo baskets over charcoal embers to bring out the natural minerality of the region. Li Xiangxi's eldest brother oversees the family's oolong teas, and believes strongly in standing against the modern trend to over-roast and cover the natural flavor of the tea. This makes the family's Big Red Robe unique among its peers. While Big Red Robe is named after five original bushes that still stand today in Wuyishan, modern Big Red Robe is made from Qidan varietal, which is known for its tremendous balance, and deep warmth. It is truly the archetypal tea of the region, and the place to start your exploration of Wuyi Oolongs as a grounding point of reference. The LI Family’s Big Red Robe consistently wins gold medals at Wuyi tea competitions.
- 2022 Rock Milk Wuyi Oolong
Rock Milk or Shi Ru is an uncommon varietal that the Li Family cultivates on their mist-shaded, mountain spring-fed biodiverse plot within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve. The naturally rocky elements of this tea come through even stronger as they take in the deep minerality of the volcanic rocky soil. As a rare offering, Mr. Li takes the time to bring out the rich mouthwatering lingering yun sensation of this tea through the hand firing at low heat for hours needed to bring out the very best. This varietal is an excellent chance to taste the terroir of the region.
- Ten Yr. Aged Full Roast Shui XianOriginally picked in 2007, this Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong has been carefully re-roasted and rested each year for a decade. The aging and careful roasting has brought out beautiful complexity in this tea, pairing Shui Xian's compelling texture with the mineral sweetness and mustiness of age. Sweet savory and salty elements keep the brew cozy and compelling, while sweet florals and intoxicating, evocative aroma make us nostalgic for the Li Family's biodiverse tea groves. This unique selection is not to be missed.
- 56-820512 seconds8762055 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 12 secondsresteep many times
add 8 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 205° watersteep 5 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy