Silver Buds Yabao
Silver Buds Yabao
Sourced by Wang Yanxin
- truespice80nutmeg, cinnamontruefloral70honeysuckle, vanillatruevegetal25sweetgrass, cardamom
- spice - nutmeg, cinnamon
- floral - honeysuckle, vanilla
- vegetal - sweetgrass, cardamom
- DATE OF PICKINGFebruary 2015
- Lincang RegionYunnan Province
- ELEVATION2000 METERS
- Mengku Da YeTea Varietal
Yabao is picked from compact winter buds, and sun dried for a unique and genre-challenging flavor between white tea and pu'er. It takes established trees and very early picking to capture these multi-layered buds that are full of sweetness & intriguing spice. While yabao matures with age, it does not develop earthy flavors like traditional pu'er.
Wang Yanxin also recommends:
- 2022 Golden Fleece
This spring harvest Yunnan black tea gets its name to honor the soft, rich textural experience of tasting this beautiful small harvest tea. Golden Fleece is hand picked from wild growth (unmanaged) Yunnan Da Bai tea bushes over forty years old. The biodiversity of the growing region and deeper roots mean a more complex flavor and aroma. Only the most perfect large tender buds are hand-harvested, and carefully hand-finished. The down from the buds infuses into every cup, yielding a uniquely thick mouthfeel. This year's harvest is full and complex with cooling cedar, and spiced nutmeg and cinnamon undertones to bolster the luxurious creamy base.
- 2022 Yunnan Golden JasmineThis exquisite offering from Wang Yanxin combines the very best of two of our favorite teas - Yunnan White Jasmine and Golden Fleece. Huge buds are picked from Yunnan Da Bai, a varietal normally used for white tea. These buds are allowed to fully oxidize into black tea, but during oxidation and drying, wild jasmine blossom are scattered among the buds, allowing the natural aroma of the jasmine to absorb over several days into the tea itself. The jasmine flowers have to be changed and renewed six times over six days to get a full aromatic infusion that lasts over many steepings. The old craft of true jasmine scenting is a slow laborious process, but the results are worth it. This tea is as rich and sweet as Golden Fleece and as luscious as Jasmine.
- 2022 Yunnan White Jasmine
This spring harvest pre-Qing Ming white tea is traditionally scented and made with Da Bai varietal white tea. This white tea is not sprayed with artificial oils or aromas. Instead, it is dried together with fresh jasmine blossoms scattered among the buds, allowing the natural aroma of the jasmine to absorb over several days into the tea itself. The process of adding fresh wild Yunnan jasmine blossoms is repeated six times over six days to get a full rich and creamy infusion that holds its intense sweetness and natural potency over many steepings. The creamy dessert-like Yunnan silver needle white tea is the perfect delicate pairing with Lincang's local luscious jasmine.
'yabao is picked from the larger tea trees in late winter and early spring. New growth on the tree starts as a well-protected bud with harder casing to ward off the cold (and animals) before opening up as the weather warms and sprouting into new branches and leaves. These buds have to be picked sparingly and respectfully to ensure that the tree continues to thrive.'
- 76-820830 seconds15-307620810 seconds10412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 10 seconds
add 10 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy