2021 Rock Milk Wuyi Oolong
2021 Rock Milk Wuyi Oolong
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Shi RuTea Varietal
Rock Milk or Shi Ru is an uncommon varietal that the Li Family cultivates on their mist-shaded, mountain spring-fed biodiverse plot within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve. The naturally rocky elements of this tea come through even stronger as they take in the deep minerality of the volcanic rocky soil. As a rare offering, Mr. Li takes the time to bring out the rich mouthwatering lingering yun sensation of this tea through the hand firing at low heat for hours needed to bring out the very best. This varietal is an excellent chance to taste the terroir of the region.
- truespice90eucalyptustruefloral80jasmine, honey, peonytruefruit70mango, apricottruesavory60brown sugar steam caketruetingling, sparkling, cooling
- spice - eucalyptus
- floral - jasmine, honey, peony
- fruit - mango, apricot
- savory - brown sugar steam cake
- texture - tingling, sparkling, cooling
the Li Family also recommends:
- Ten Yr. Aged Full Roast Shui XianOriginally picked in 2007, this Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong has been carefully re-roasted and rested each year for a decade. The aging and careful roasting has brought out beautiful complexity in this tea, pairing Shui Xian's compelling texture with the mineral sweetness and mustiness of age. Sweet savory and salty elements keep the brew cozy and compelling, while sweet florals and intoxicating, evocative aroma make us nostalgic for the Li Family's biodiverse tea groves. This unique selection is not to be missed.
- 2022 Gold Medal Rou GuiRou Gui is quickly becoming one of the most popular Wuyi Oolongs across China for its intense concentrated aroma, and the textural cooling tingling sensation called yun that it shows off at the highest levels. Li Xiangxi and her family’s Rou Gui has been winning gold and silver medals at competition for years due to their incredible skill at coaxing the best aroma from each leaf through slow subtle roasting. This year, they set aside enough of their award-winning harvest for us to share.
- 2022 Dark Roast Tie LuohanTie Luohan (or Iron Arhat) is one of the four famous varietals that define Wuyi oolong teas, making it highly sought after, with true Tie Luohan varietal in low supply. The Li Family uses a meticulously slow hand firing to bring out the varietal’s natural qualities - a balance of minerality, chocolate notes and subtle florals. Delightfully, the tea finishes with cooling cedar and a light lingering sparkle that pushes towards yun.
'The Wuyishan Ecological Preserve was shaped by ancient volcanoes, giving it a mix of extremely rocky and sandy soil. This soil contributes to the flavor of the region’s tea though regulating water drainage and encouraging deeper roots, as well as through its mineral-rich mix of nutrients the tea absorbs as it grows.'
- 4620840 seconds305620815-20 seconds15512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 40 secondsresteep many times
add 30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 15-20 seconds
add 15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy