Yang Pin Hao 2016 Gu Shu Sheng
Yang Pin Hao 2016 Gu Shu Sheng
Crafted by the Jing Hong Workshop
- DATE OF PICKING4/16/16
- Blended ProvinceYunnan Province
- ELEVATIONmixed elevations
- Da Ye ZhongTea Varietal
This workshop blend of old tree material is inspired by the old 1910’s Yang Pin Hao brand, a mix of silvery buds, with young leaves and just enough stem for sweetness. The balanced flavor, texture and aroma are packed with minerality, and mouth-watering texture, accented by florals in the aftertaste for a tea already drinking beyond its years, and ready for further long-term aging.
- truefruit50juniper, gojitruespice80mineral, redwood, white peppertruespice60grape leaftruesavory40toasted walnuttruefloral35violet, chrysanthemum
- fruit - juniper, goji
- spice - mineral, redwood, white pepper
- spice - grape leaf
- savory - toasted walnut
- floral - violet, chrysanthemum
Wang Yanxin also recommends:
- 2006 Fu Shou Xiang Bulang Sheng
This special Fu Shou Xiang series from Tiandiren Workshop highlights the unique single-origin flavor profile of Bulangshan. While Bulangshan is always texturally nuanced, this standout has a unique orange and clove profile that is reminiscent of simmering cider, along with brown sugar cake and deep vanilla florals.
- Shi Yi Bulang Lao Shu 2006 ShengBulangshan is famous for its cooling, camphor-forward sheng pu’er. This cake is blended exclusively with old tree Bulang leaf material, and is as cooling as they come, like walking through a wet pine forest. These cooling notes grow over time into intriguing textural sensations, the yun of pu’er. Notes of star anise and deep sweet slightly salty minerality accent the cooling qualities of this cake.
- Nannuoshan 2006 ShengNannuoshan sheng pu’er is famous for its trademark sticky rice sweet aromatics. This well-aged cake from Wang Yanxin has a “storied” background. It was originally sold to another Qingdao tea vendor who wanted to sell the cake under his own brand and repackaged the tea. When he got out of the business, Wang Yanxin bought the tea back at the original fresh tea asking price. She is sharing this with us because of how outstanding the aging is on this elegant cake. The original packaging and nei fei was from the Yunnan Agricultural Research Institute, and cakes in mint condition sell for over $100 in China, but we’re passing on Wang Yanxin’s discount as a “scratch and dent” cake since it is missing the original nei fei. Nevertheless, the flavor and aroma are beautifully balanced and full of deep rich complexity.
'Most pu’er does become more complex over time. Astringency mellows out, darker and richer flavors come through. Textural complexities become more pronounced. Starting with an intriguing young pu’er of high quality with lots of textures and flavors at play will increase your chances of graceful aging.'
- 4821260 seconds30-404521220 seconds10-15412room temp8 hours
oz.use 212° watersteep 60 secondsresteep many times
add 30-40 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.5 ozuse 212° watersteep 20 seconds
add 10-15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy