2021 Yu Qilin Wuyi Oolong
2021 Yu Qilin Wuyi Oolong
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Yu QilinTea Varietal
The Qilin is a mythical Chinese creature associated with wise benevolent rulers that has been compared to the unicorn, and the giraffe. This year’s harvest is remarkably spice-forward with incense aromatics and a tingling quality that builds up on the tongue over multiple infusions. The spice and complexity of the varietal and the tremendous microclimate within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve are heightened even more by Mr. Li’s generous hand-firing in the finishing process.
- truefruit90apricot, melontruespice80cedar, allspicetruefloral80honeysuckle, jasminetruesavory70roast hazelnut, barleyfalsevegetal45tulsitruejuicy, mineral-laden, cooling
- fruit - apricot, melon
- spice - cedar, allspice
- floral - honeysuckle, jasmine
- savory - roast hazelnut, barley
- texture - juicy, mineral-laden, cooling
'The Wuyishan Ecological Preserve was shaped by ancient volcanoes, giving it a mix of extremely rocky and sandy soil. This soil contributes to the flavor of the region’s tea though regulating water drainage and encouraging deeper roots, as well as through its mineral-rich mix of nutrients the tea absorbs as it grows.'
the Li Family also recommends
- 2009 Aged Fo Shou Wuyi Oolong
In 2009 the LI Family decided to set aside a fraction of their reserve-level Fo Shou Wuyi Oolong, and instead of high-firing it to remove all moisture, they allowed it to ferment with natural moisture, essentially making their own shu pu'er. This tea was still finished with yaoqing technique, making it absolutely an oolong, but with all the depth of shu pu'er. Note, this is not similar to standard aged oolong because of the unique moisture conditions. It has aged deep, dark, and foresty- a totally new hybrid style we are excited to share!
- 2009 Full Roast Tie LuohanThis aged Tie Luohan (or Iron Arhat) is one of the four famous varietals that define Wuyi oolong teas. Originally roasted and finished over several months in 2009, the Li Family has carefully re-roasted and rested this tea each year over the past eight years. Each meticulous hand-firing process takes over sixteen hours, and in total this tea has been fired fourteen times for deep intense texture and powerful aftertaste. Full of fudgey, salty sweetness, this powerfully flavorful tea steeps out in a long flavor arc over many brews into beautiful mineral sweetness with soothing throat-coating texture and a hint of clean mustiness.
- 2020 Old Tree Shui Xian
This tea is picked from trees between sixty and over a hundred years old. These trees are left mostly untended except for annual careful hand harvesting by the Li Family, allowing the trees to adapt to their mossy environment. This means more polyphenols in the leaf and more flavor in the tea. Because of the age of the plant, the roots go deeper into the soil, drawing nutrients from untouched land and water that has filtered further through the rocky soil and picked up more Wuyi minerality.
- 4620840 seconds305620815-20 seconds15512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 40 secondsresteep many times
add 30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 15-20 seconds
add 15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy