2023 Yu Qilin Wuyi Oolong
2023 Yu Qilin Wuyi Oolong
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Yu QilinTea Varietal
The Qilin is a mythical Chinese creature associated with wise benevolent rulers that has been compared to the unicorn, and the giraffe. This year’s harvest is remarkably spice-forward with incense aromatics and a tingling quality that builds up on the tongue over multiple infusions. The spice and complexity of the varietal and the tremendous microclimate within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve are heightened even more by Mr. Li’s generous hand-firing in the finishing process.
- truefloral75honeysuckletruefruit65lychee, candied cherrytruespice75ginsengtruesavory70puffed rice, chocolatefalsetrueperfumed
- floral - honeysuckle
- fruit - lychee, candied cherry
- spice - ginseng
- savory - puffed rice, chocolate
- texture - perfumed
'The Wuyishan Ecological Preserve was shaped by ancient volcanoes, giving it a mix of extremely rocky and sandy soil. This soil contributes to the flavor of the region’s tea though regulating water drainage and encouraging deeper roots, as well as through its mineral-rich mix of nutrients the tea absorbs as it grows.'
the Li Family also recommends
- 2023 Gold Medal Rou GuiRou Gui is quickly becoming one of the most popular Wuyi Oolongs across China for its intense concentrated aroma, and the textural cooling tingling sensation called yun that it shows off at the highest levels. Li Xiangxi and her family’s Rou Gui has been winning gold and silver medals at competition for years due to their incredible skill at coaxing the best aroma from each leaf through slow subtle roasting. This year, they set aside enough of their award-winning harvest for us to share.
- 2023 Bai Ji GuanBai Ji Guan is a rare and unique varietal in Wuyi. The Li Family cultivates a small amount of Bai Ji Guan on their mountainside plot. This extremely light, beautiful, almost Dancong-like tea is full of the mineral notes that define Wuyi. It is thick and packed with unique vegetal undertones and florals. The Li Family's careful cultivation and roasting means gorgeous giant light-colored leaves and a bright crisp brew.
- 2023 Bai Rui XiangThe Bai Rui is the Winter Daphne, a flower native to China with an intensely sweet fruity aroma. This rich incense-forward varietial shares those heady perfumed overtones with its namesake, along with the rare and sought-after yun xiang, the cooling tingling sensation that build up in the back of the throat. The Li Family finishes their Bai Rui Xiang as a ‘reserve’ quality tea, using a meticulous twelve hour hand-firing to bring out deep complexity. The minerality of the family’s volcanic rocky mountainside plot comes through as a textural foundation for the spices to build on, resulting in a balanced, beautifully structured Wuyi Oolong.
- 4620840 seconds305620815-20 seconds15512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 40 secondsresteep many times
add 30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 15-20 seconds
add 15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy