2023 Zhu Rong
2023 Zhu Rong
Sourced By Wang Yanxin
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Lincang RegionYunnan Province
- Fengqing Da YeTea Varietal
Lady Zhu Rong was a legendary dagger-wielding warrior-queen of Yunnan descended from a god of fire. The toasty-savory spice and sweet, creamy boxy of this Yunnan black tea evoke the kingdom of Dian, an independent state before it was conquered by China and renamed Yunnan. Dian Hong is a relatively new kind of tea introduced in the 80's that has recently taken China by storm for its full body and depth of flavor that comes from its signature downy buds. While budset black teas from Fujian tend to be very crisp, Yunnan golden bud harvests like this Zhu Rong are much bigger and creamier.
- truesavory85soy milk, toasted cashew, poundcaketruefloral50vanillatruespice80nutmeg, cardamomtruefruit35dried nectarinetruecreamy
- savory - soy milk, toasted cashew, poundcake
- floral - vanilla
- spice - nutmeg, cardamom
- fruit - dried nectarine
- texture - creamy
Wang Yanxin also recommends:
- 2023 Golden Fleece
This spring harvest Yunnan black tea gets its name to honor the soft, rich textural experience of tasting this beautiful small harvest tea. Golden Fleece is hand picked from wild growth (unmanaged) Yunnan Da Bai tea bushes over forty years old. The biodiversity of the growing region and deeper roots mean a more complex flavor and aroma. Only the most perfect large tender buds are hand-harvested, and carefully hand-finished. The down from the buds infuses into every cup, yielding a uniquely thick mouthfeel. This year's harvest is full and complex with cooling cedar, and spiced nutmeg and cinnamon undertones to bolster the luxurious creamy base.
- 2023 Yunnan Golden JasmineThis exquisite offering from Wang Yanxin combines the very best of two of our favorite teas - Yunnan White Jasmine and Golden Fleece. Huge buds are picked from Yunnan Da Bai, a varietal normally used for white tea. These buds are allowed to fully oxidize into black tea, but during oxidation and drying, wild jasmine blossom are scattered among the buds, allowing the natural aroma of the jasmine to absorb over several days into the tea itself. The jasmine flowers have to be changed and renewed six times over six days to get a full aromatic infusion that lasts over many steepings. The old craft of true jasmine scenting is a slow laborious process, but the results are worth it. This tea is as rich and sweet as Golden Fleece and as luscious as Jasmine.
- 2023 Yu Lu Yan Cha
This unique buddy black tea offering from Wang Yanxin is only possible because of her deep connections in both Henan and Laoshan. Her farmer friends produce extremely tiny bud Xinyang Maojian, a fine downy showstopper of a green tea. The second picking of the year is still all delicate downy buds, but tradition dictates only the first harvest is used for Henan's iconic buddy green tea. Wang Yanxin works to rush-ship fresh tea leaves the day they are picked from Henan all the way up to Laoshan Village, where they are allowed to traditionally oxidize in the sun to make a black tea, and then finished using Laoshan's extremely honed-in roasting and finishing techniques to combine the buddy steamed bun texture of Jin Jun Mei with the chocolatey goodness of Laoshan Black. This cross-province collaboration continues to prove that the world of tea is still full of innovators, pushing the boundaries of tradition.
'Pay more attention to a tea’s specific effect on your body than to the stated caffeine content. A tea might be very high in caffeine, but also high in EGCG and L-theanine, which in the end may contribute to a more calming effect than a stimulant effect. Predicting the exact effect a tea is going to have becomes more complex task than measuring caffeine.'
- 46-820530 seconds10462058 seconds5412room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.6 ozuse 205° watersteep 8 seconds
add 5 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy