2022 Autumn Mao Xie
2022 Autumn Mao Xie
oldest oolong bushes
Crafted By Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGNovember 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 meters
- Mao XieTea Varietal
Mao Xie, or Hairy Crab, is a native varietal to Daping. The village is extremely proud to be a birthplace of Maoxie varietal, and Master Zhang is excited to share this tea. Grown without pesticides and nourished with natural canola flowers for fertilizer, this tea is uniquely savory and creamy in a way that Tieguanyin cannot be. By growing Mao Xie alongside Tieguanyin, Qilan, Rou Gui and other varietals, Master Zhang can achieve a more biodiverse tea garden yielding healthier plants and more complex flavor. Master Zhang finishes this Mao Xie with a meticulous fifteen hour turning and fluffing process which brings out the buttery flavors of the varietal with light, "modern" green finish.
- truefruit95juicy peach, pineappletruefloral65daffodil, marigoldtruesavory90creamy rice candytruespice70star anise, licoricefalsefloral55lilac, saffrontruecreamy, aromatic
- fruit - juicy peach, pineapple
- floral - daffodil, marigold
- savory - creamy rice candy
- spice - star anise, licorice
- texture - creamy, aromatic
Master Zhang also recommends:
- 2022 Special Grade Autumn Tieguanyin
Master Zhang takes his Special Grade designation seriously. In order for a batch to be set aside as Special Grade, it has to meet an incredibly high standard of sweetness, a long lingering aftertaste, and thick balanced texture and evocative aroma. It takes the perfect combination of high elevation rocky soil, cool stand-out weather during the growing season and on the picking and finishing days. In the autumn it is even rarer to get these perfect windows, so we are excited to be sharing this harvest for teh first time. This extremely limited special grade Tieguanyin was hand-picked and hand finished over an exhaustive day and a half fluffing and turning process to bring out deep intense florals and creamy texture. The true flavor of the Tieguanyin varietal is preserved with Master Zhang’s expert green finish.
- 2022 Autumn Reserve Traditional TieguanyinMaster Zhang's work has won awards at conferences in Fujian and Guangdong for his incredible craft in traditional Tieguanyin finishing. This autumn, we are excited to once again offer his reserve designation harvest with a traditional finish, undoubtedly Master Zhang's favorite tea to make and share with friends. Master Zhang's award-winning technique brings out the deep fruit and dark florals that don't have a chance to shine in greener, more modern finishes. Instead of simply designating his higher elevation teas as "Reserve," Master Zhang holds back this title to only the very few pickings that meet his criteria of intense aroma, lingering pervasive aftertaste, rich deep florals, light cooling sensations, and creamy texture. The conditions while picking and processing only rarely come together to facilitate a tea that hits every thing that Master Zhang strives for. This limited harvest embraces his award-winning ideals for a stunning brew.
- 2003 Aged Mao XieMao Xie is arguably Daping Village’s most “classic” tea. Mao Xie is native to the area and grew on the mountains above Daping long before Tieguanyin was planted. Master Zhang’s labor-intensive traditional finish hearkens back to the style before the modern green oolong trend became popular and all Anxi teas were finished with at least a light roast and oxidation. Mao Xie translates to “hairy crab,” a reference to the appearance of the leaves. A classic traditional finish on Mao Xie brings out the iconic savory notes in the varietal and makes it taste almost pastry-like. Aging brings out the natural savory undertones of this varietal and deepens the aftertaste.
- 56-820830 seconds105520810 seconds2512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 208° watersteep 10 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy