2022 Autumn Mao Xie
2022 Autumn Mao Xie
oldest oolong bushes
Crafted By Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGNovember 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 meters
- Mao XieTea Varietal
Mao Xie, or Hairy Crab, is a native varietal to Daping. The village is extremely proud to be a birthplace of Maoxie varietal, and Master Zhang is excited to share this tea. Grown without pesticides and nourished with natural canola flowers for fertilizer, this tea is uniquely savory and creamy in a way that Tieguanyin cannot be. By growing Mao Xie alongside Tieguanyin, Qilan, Rou Gui and other varietals, Master Zhang can achieve a more biodiverse tea garden yielding healthier plants and more complex flavor. Master Zhang finishes this Mao Xie with a meticulous fifteen hour turning and fluffing process which brings out the buttery flavors of the varietal with light, "modern" green finish.
- truefruit95juicy peach, pineappletruefloral65daffodil, marigoldtruesavory90creamy rice candytruespice70star anise, licoricefalsefloral55lilac, saffrontruecreamy, aromatic
- fruit - juicy peach, pineapple
- floral - daffodil, marigold
- savory - creamy rice candy
- spice - star anise, licorice
- texture - creamy, aromatic
Master Zhang also recommends:
- 1985 Aged Se Zhong Oolong
Many of Master Zhang's oldest tea plants are 'se zhong' varietals, teas other than Tieguanyin that flourish in Anxi. Master Zhang's grandparents and forebears planted Ben Shan, Mao Xie, and other sezhong varietals on their high mountain peak above Daping decades ago. Master Zhang picked these leaves in 1985, carefully re-roasting this mixed se zhong harvest every year for almost ten years. The tea was allowed the tea to rest for another twenty years before this beautiful cache was released The deep, dark mineral notes and fruity sweetness of se zhong oolong become alluringly foresty, a great example of "yun" - the physical sensation of the tea in the throat and the lingering cooling electric aftertaste and texture that fine teas create. The longer this tea steeps, the more intense woody and cooling qualities it reveals.
- 2023 Autumn TieguanyinTrue Tieguanyin varietal stands out for its deep lingering aftertaste, big texture, and the ability to steep out over many infusions. Master Zhang has honed his Tieguanyin cultivation techniques and finishing process over forty years of experimentation, earning the respect of the entire Daping area as a teacher and community leader. He utilizes organic farming techniques, encourages biodiversity, and advocates against wasteful irrigation to encourage healthy and deeply complex and nuanced tea. This modern green style Tieguanyin requires an intense turning and fluffing process in finishing that needs to be adapted on the spot depending on the weather and the aroma, requiring deep experience.
- 2023 Spring Anxi Rou Gui
Rou Gui is better known as a roasted oolong from Wuyi, famous in Wuyi for its intense and aromatic cinnamon flavor. Master Zhang's Rou Gui varietal bushes grow among Tieguanyin fields and wildflowers, and benefit from sweet mountain spring water. Master Zhang's careful finish on this unique rolled Anxi Rou Gui brings out not just rich cinnamon spice, but also dessert-like complexity and aftertaste.
- 56-820830 seconds105520810 seconds2512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 208° watersteep 10 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy