2022 Huang Pian Sheng Cake
2022 Huang Pian Sheng Cake
Golden Leaf Sheng Pu’er
Crafted by the Dongsa Cooperative
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2022
- QianjiazhaiMt. Ailao, Yunnan
- ELEVATION2140 m
- Qianjiazhai AssamicaTea Varietal
Huang Pian refers to the larger, more mature and flavorful leaves that will inevitably be picked after a long day of wild-foraging. These leaves dry differently and finish differently than younger leaves and buds, so Master Zhou separates them out of his cakes before pressing, saving the precious few pounds harvested each year to enjoy himself. Though often he jokes that Huang Pian leaves are the ugliest, he treasures his Huang Pian because it has a distinctive crisp texture and bright fruity flavor that becomes deep and rich with just a few years of aging. This year, Master Zhou was able to set aside much of his Huang Pian as a limited offering for us. Judging from the many cups of Huang Pian we’ve sipped with Master Zhou in Qianjiazhai over the years, this cake has tremendous aging potential.
- truefruit90apricottruesavory35cashew, brown sugartruefloral70vanilla, lilkoitruespice60cardamomtruejuicy, mouth-watering
- fruit - apricot
- savory - cashew, brown sugar
- floral - vanilla, lilkoi
- spice - cardamom
- texture - juicy, mouth-watering
the Dongsa Cooperative also recommends:
- 2022 Harmony Qianjiazhai Sheng
The Harmony Series debuted in 2016 as a collaboration between Master Zhou and the Li Family in Qianjiazhai to select tea from a wide range of trees to get a cross section of flavor texture and aroma that they feel most defines the region. These 2022 pressings exemplifies balance, full engagement of the pallet and beautifully creamy texture. Master Zhou blends Gu Hua harvest picking from trees between one hundred and three hundred years of age with older five hundred to a thousand year trees to get the thick powerful flavor and juicy quality of the younger leaf, bolstered by the woody texture, tingling mouthfeel and cooling sensation of the older trees. The result is singular, an opportunity to taste the best of everything Qianjiazhai has to offer.
- 2021 Qianjiazhai Hand Fired BlackMaster Zhou is still experimenting with other farmers in Qianjiazhai to produce new black tea offerings each year. The cooperative started with simple oxidized and sun dried black tea without any processing. Recently they have begun experimenting with wok-roasted hand finished black tea. The application of heat makes this more closely related to other Yunnan Black, and indeed it shares a rich sweet potato thickness similar to our Yunnan Golden Fleece, but with Qianjiazhai’s signature tulsi complexity and touches of citrus, and florals. Anybody who loves black tea will love this wild complex black tea offering from the Dongsa Cooperative.
- 2020 Qianjiazhai Sun Dried Black TeaThis tea is wild-foraged by the Li Family of the Dongsa Cooperative within the Mt Ailao National Forest Preserve. The silvery buds and twisting golden leaves are picked from ancient tea trees between one hundred and eight hundred years old scattered between other evergreens, and wildflowers on the rocky mountainside. This labor-intensive tea to harvest is actually allowed to sun-roast and oxidize without applying heat in a wok. Because more moisture is retained in the leaf, this black tea is a fantastic candidate for aging like traditional sheng pu’er. Only a high-elevation remote place like Qianjiazhai can count on enough sunlight in the spring for this old but rare finishing technique. The result is a tea with the sweet malt of a black tea but the staggering complexity and herbaceous undertones of a sheng pu’er. A true standout!
'Three hundred to five hundred year old trees can yield only a kilogram or two at most, and are picked only once a year to encourage further growth for future generations. The flavor of trees at this age picks up more thick woody, foresty notes to balance the fruit and florals. The brewed liquor is more translucent and golden.'
- 46-820820 seconds10562086 seconds3412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy