2010 Aged Tieguanyin
2010 Aged Tieguanyin
Crafted by the Liu Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2010
- LongjuanAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION700 m
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
This aged release from the Liu Family in Longjuan captures the depth, complexity and nuance of their family's unique mountaintop terroir, brought to new levels of depth with over a decade of careful aging. The Liu Family re-roasts their Tieguanyin annually for a full five years to control for moisture and ensure slow even change. This tea is packed with deep sweet, cooling notes and a mossy evergreen quality all its own
- truespice80cinnamon, nutmegtruesavory75sesame brittletruefruit70blackberry jamtruefloral65marigoldtruedeep, cooling, juicy
- spice - cinnamon, nutmeg
- savory - sesame brittle
- fruit - blackberry jam
- floral - marigold
- texture - deep, cooling, juicy
the Liu Family also recommends
- 2021 Tieguanyin Xiao Zhong
This experimental loose leaf black tea is made by the Liu family with leaves from their Tieguanyin tea plants. The inspiration for this tea is Wuyi Xiao Zhong, a traditional and full-bodied black tea from Wuyishan (sometimes smoked with special pine wood). You might expect a bracing and full bodied tea, but when you taste this Tieguanyin varietal processed as a curled, roasted black tea, you find something quite different. Cozy and satisfying, this tea has an unmistakable floral Tieguanyin core under the black tea finishing.
- 2021 Longjuan Spring Tieguanyin
The Liu Family has been quietly cultivating incredible 'off the beaten path' Tieguanyin for generations on their mountaintop family plot. Their old-growth tea plants benefit from deep roots, rocky soil and daily clouds and mist shading the plants from excess sun. The result is a complex Tieguanyin full of classic creamy notes, along with a unique spiced quality that expresses the Longjuan climate.
- 2021 Tieguanyin Jin Jun MeiWhile Tieguanyin Xiaozhong uses smaller leaves for a traditional black tea, the Liu Family'a Tieguanyin Jin Jun Mei uses large Tieguanyin buds, orange with down, for a unique and particularly uncommon offering. This is a chance to taste the rich, sweet and savory flavor of bud material in the naturally floral Tieguanyin varietal. This tea is a clear demonstration that farmers like the Liu Family are not tied by tradition to only make what is currently accepted with the varietals they grow.
'There are just so many people turning out jin after jin of modern green or traditional rolled Tieguanyin... Instead, the Liu family has been exploring more uncommon styles, like the Tieguanyin black teas Mr. Liu has been making since just before his children (now with children of their own!) were born'
- 56-820530 seconds15-305520510 seconds5-65122128 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 205° watersteep 10 seconds
add 5-6 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy