Tieguanyin Jin Jun Mei
Tieguanyin Jin Jun Mei
Crafted by the Liu Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- LongjuanAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION700 m
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
While Tieguanyin Xiaozhong uses smaller leaves for a traditional black tea, the Liu Family'a Tieguanyin Jin Jun Mei uses large Tieguanyin buds, orange with down, for a unique and particularly uncommon offering. This is a chance to taste the rich, sweet and savory flavor of bud material in the naturally floral Tieguanyin varietal. This tea is a clear demonstration that farmers like the Liu Family are not tied by tradition to only make what is currently accepted with the varietals they grow.
- truefruit85tangerine, papayatruefloral85jasmine, orchid, honeytruespice55nutmegtruesavory70malt, rye, sticky ricetruethick, creamy
- fruit - tangerine, papaya
- floral - jasmine, orchid, honey
- spice - nutmeg
- savory - malt, rye, sticky rice
- texture - thick, creamy
the Liu Family also recommends
- 2010 Aged Tieguanyin
This aged release from the Liu Family in Longjuan captures the depth, complexity and nuance of their family's unique mountaintop terroir, brought to new levels of depth with over a decade of careful aging. The Liu Family re-roasts their Tieguanyin annually for a full five years to control for moisture and ensure slow even change. This tea is packed with deep sweet, cooling notes and a mossy evergreen quality all its own
- Longjuan Tieguanyin
The Liu Family has been quietly cultivating incredible 'off the beaten path' Tieguanyin for generations on their mountaintop family plot. Their old-growth tea plants benefit from deep roots, rocky soil and daily clouds and mist shading the plants from excess sun. The result is a complex Tieguanyin full of classic creamy notes, along with a unique spiced quality that expresses the Longjuan climate.
- Tieguanyin Big Red RobeThis experimental tea uses Tieguanyin leaves, normally tightly curled, and finishes them with Wuyi-style strip-oolong processing. The tea is twisted and given a heavier roast to evoke Big Red Robe style. The fascinating thing about this tea is that, despite a processing style that points to Wuyi, the flavor is still one hundred percent Tieguanyin. The pull between floral-herbaceous Tieguanyin, and mineral-heavy cozy roast makes for a more dynamic tasting experience.
'There are just so many people turning out jin after jin of modern green or traditional rolled Tieguanyin... Instead, the Liu family has been exploring more uncommon styles, like the Tieguanyin black teas Mr. Liu has been making since just before his children (now with children of their own!) were born'
- 56-818030 seconds15-305518010 seconds5-65122128 hours
oz.use 180° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 180° watersteep 10 seconds
add 5-6 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy