2021 Old Tree Shui Xian
2021 Old Tree Shui Xian
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2021
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Shui XIanTea Varietal
Mossy, foresty "rock juice" - the new 2021 harvest is here!
The Li family’s position as community leaders and environmental stewards gives them the special privilege to pick from an old wild grove of Shui Xian trees, many over 100 years old that have been left untended for generations. This handful of special trees yield tea with a stunning complexity ad commending textural sensation. The deep roots pick up huge volcanic minerality, while the mossy wild environment encourages the tea to put out tons of polyphenols, meaning bigger complexity. Of course, for a tea this rare, Mr. Li personally hand-picks, oversees hand finishing in the yaoqing process and mandates at least five fifteen hour hand firing sessions over several months before allowing this tea to leave the workshop. This tea is a special opportunity to taste one of the most yun forward and complex Wuyi Oolongs out there, a work of passion for the Li siblings. Tasting notes don’t do justice as so much of this tea is in the texture and tingling almost numbing sensations that build up over multiple steepings.
- truespice100pine resin, frankincensetruefloral90daffodil, orange blossom honeytruefruit70neroli, bergamottruesavory70torched merenguefalsefloraltruepowerful sparkling rock juice
- spice - pine resin, frankincense
- floral - daffodil, orange blossom honey
- fruit - neroli, bergamot
- savory - torched merengue
- texture - powerful sparkling rock juice
The Li Family also recommends:
- 2023 Gold Medal Rou GuiRou Gui is quickly becoming one of the most popular Wuyi Oolongs across China for its intense concentrated aroma, and the textural cooling tingling sensation called yun that it shows off at the highest levels. Li Xiangxi and her family’s Rou Gui has been winning gold and silver medals at competition for years due to their incredible skill at coaxing the best aroma from each leaf through slow subtle roasting. This year, they set aside enough of their award-winning harvest for us to share.
- 2023 Shui XianLi Xiangxi's family has been hand picking and processing tea for generations. Their tea is fed from a mountain spring, with plants between ten and one hundred years old, all grown traditionally without fertilizers or pesticides and picked by hand by the family. This Shui Xian varietal picking really shines with the Li Family's delicate charcoal roasting process to bring out the deep complex forest notes and minerality that make Shui Xian so famous.
- 2023 Dark Roast Shui Xian
Shui Xian is named after the Narcissus flower (or Daffodil), and the dark roast on this Shui Xian brings out beautiful florals in contrast with dark forest and wood notes. Mr. Li hand-fired this batch of Shui Xian to give its cooling texture even more sparkling, tingling intensity. Shui Xian varietal is known for its foresty woody flavors and deep lingering texture. The Li Family’s biodiverse forested tea gardens within the Wuyi Ecological Preserve help play up the varietals natural complexity.
- 56-820815 seconds5752086 seconds2412room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 15 secondsresteep many times
add 5 sec. each infusion
Gongfu7 g.5 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 2 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy