2023 Gold Medal Rou Gui
2023 Gold Medal Rou Gui
Competition-Level Wuyi Oolong
Crafted by the Li Family
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Wuyishan Ecological PreserveWuyishan, Fujian
- ELEVATION600 METERS
- Rou GuiTea Varietal
Rou Gui is quickly becoming one of the most popular Wuyi Oolongs across China for its intense concentrated aroma, and the textural cooling tingling sensation called yun that it shows off at the highest levels. Li Xiangxi and her family’s Rou Gui has been winning gold and silver medals at competition for years due to their incredible skill at coaxing the best aroma from each leaf through slow subtle roasting. This year, they set aside enough of their award-winning harvest for us to share.
- truefruit70persimmon, bananatruefloral85violet, honeytruespice100cinnamon, aloeswood, camphortruesavory85whipped cream, brown sugarfalsetrueyun, intense cooling, minerality
- fruit - persimmon, banana
- floral - violet, honey
- spice - cinnamon, aloeswood, camphor
- savory - whipped cream, brown sugar
- texture - yun, intense cooling, minerality
the Li Family also recommends:
- 2023 Rou Gui Wuyi OolongThe Li Family is becoming famous in Wuyishan for their Rou Gui. The combination of a biodiverse plot, full of wildflowers and natural forest cover, the volcanic rocky soil, mature root stock plants, and multiple twelve hour hand-firing processes spread over several months make their Rou Gui a true standout. Classically, Rou Gui is known for its cinnamon spice, but in the Li Family’s capable hands, the cinnamon spice is bolstered by tingling cooling undertones and deep minerality. This Rou Gui is Li Xiangxi’s focus in all her taste training courses at her family’s Yangxian Academy, served to students and visiting dignitaries as a classic representation of what the varietal is capable of.
- 2009 Aged Fo Shou Wuyi Oolong
In 2009 the LI Family decided to set aside a fraction of their reserve-level Fo Shou Wuyi Oolong, and instead of high-firing it to remove all moisture, they allowed it to ferment with natural moisture, essentially making their own shu pu'er. This tea was still finished with yaoqing technique, making it absolutely an oolong, but with all the depth of shu pu'er. Note, this is not similar to standard aged oolong because of the unique moisture conditions. It has aged deep, dark, and foresty- a totally new hybrid style we are excited to share!
- Ten Yr. Aged Full Roast Shui XianOriginally picked in 2007, this Shui Xian Wuyi Oolong has been carefully re-roasted and rested each year for a decade. The aging and careful roasting has brought out beautiful complexity in this tea, pairing Shui Xian's compelling texture with the mineral sweetness and mustiness of age. Sweet savory and salty elements keep the brew cozy and compelling, while sweet florals and intoxicating, evocative aroma make us nostalgic for the Li Family's biodiverse tea groves. This unique selection is not to be missed.
- 4620840 seconds305620815-20 seconds15512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 40 secondsresteep many times
add 30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 15-20 seconds
add 15 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy