2023 Original Wulong Revival
2023 Original Wulong Revival
Crafted By Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2023
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 m
- Ben ShanTea Varietal
Master Zhang is a true innovator. He doesn’t make tea to follow trends. He experiments and takes risks to make tea better for the generations to come. This Original Wulong Revival uses the older Ben Shan varietal leaf and undergoes three times more careful hand turning and fluffing than modern Anxi oolong. For finishing, it is loosely rolled in the oldest style of oolong making that is half strip style and half ball, with many of the leaves more strip-style than rolled. Master Zhang describes the shape as a dragonfly. This hand processing and shaping yields a different tea- a genre of its own outside of Wuyi style, Guangdong style or Anxi style. The light roast is rewarding and brings out a unique savory sweet complexity we don’t see in other teas from Master Zhang.
- truesavory80shortbreadtruevegetal40basiltruefruit80banana steam cake, peartruefloral80vanilla, chrysanthemumtruespice80juniper, nutmeg, cedartruecreamy, cooling
- savory - shortbread
- vegetal - basil
- fruit - banana steam cake, pear
- floral - vanilla, chrysanthemum
- spice - juniper, nutmeg, cedar
- texture - creamy, cooling
Master Zhang also recommends:
- 2005 Aged Wulong RevivalThe “Dragonfly” style was the most traditional oolong finishing technique in Anxi before the rolled ball became popular. Master Zhang has been experimenting with this style for years as part of his work as a teacher and community leader for other farmers in Daping. Every year Master Zhang sets aside any interesting standouts for long term aging, which requires re-roasting every year to keep the moisture level as low as possible. The slow process of change brings out deep complexity and dark sweet undertones over many years. Master Zhang is sharing a portion of his personal reserve from early experiments for his revival project, giving us the chance to taste the first truly aged Revival Style Anxi oolong from Daping.
- 2023 Original Tieguanyin RevivalThis unusual tea is based on Master Zhang's ongoing research into early Anxi oolong teas with a half-rolled / half strip-style shape, and a very meticulous turning and fluffing process that goes further than most modern tea would. In this experimental offering, he applies this research to the Tieguanyin varietal and provides enough roast for a deep, rich aroma. The result is a very well-balanced tea full of toasted sweetness, rich plum, and an lilac floral complemented by lingering minerality.
- 2023 Qing Xiang Wulong Revival
This beautiful experimental tea from Master Zhang brings together the deep complexity and lingering aftertaste of his full day turning and fluffing process required for Revival style, and the luscious sweet floral aromatics of autumn Ben Shan varietal. Master Zhang’s Ben Shan bushes were planted by his grandparents on some of the highest slopes of the family’s mountain plot above Daping Village. Their deep roots take in water from a sweet mountain spring running under the rocky soil, bringing big texture and lingering sweetness to compliment the intensive finishing. The “dragonfly” shape unfolds beautifully in a gaiwan over many steepings.
- 56-821230 seconds15-305521210 seconds35122128 hours
oz.use 212° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 212° watersteep 10 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy