2022 Zun Sheng Pu'er
2022 Zun Sheng Pu'er
Crafted by the Dongsa Cooperative
- DATE OF PICKINGApril 2022
- QianjiazhaiMt. Ailao, Yunnan
- ELEVATION1800 m
- Qianjiazhai AssamicaTea Varietal
This Zun harvest is offered both loose leaf (25g) and in two pressings:
100g cakes and 250g Xiao Jin Gua.
Zun, a designation chosen by the cooperative, means ‘reverence’ of the ancient Qianjiazhai tea trees themselves, an awareness of the human collaboration with a living tree that has existed for generations before us and hopefully will continue to exist for generations after us. The Zun series cakes use the first early spring growth from only the old-growth (500-1000 year) wild trees above the Li Family’s home high in the mountains, and accessible only on foot. The wild nature of this tea’s provenance come through as a flavor texture and aroma experience that is both reverent of its source, and worthy of reverence for its commanding beauty, full of honey and dried apricot with a hint of wild mountain tulsi, and intense textural depth.
- truefloral85daffodil, orange blossomtruespice80camphor, clovetruefruit95peach, muscat grapetruesavory70brown sugar, whipped creamfalsesavorytruecooling, tingling, powerful
- floral - daffodil, orange blossom
- spice - camphor, clove
- fruit - peach, muscat grape
- savory - brown sugar, whipped cream
- texture - cooling, tingling, powerful
the Dongsa Cooperative also recommends:
- 2023 "Zun" Qianjiazhai Sheng Pu'er
This 2022 Zun harvest is offered both dragon pearls (25g bags of 4-5 pearls) and in two pressings: 100g cakes and 357g cakes. This is the Zhenyuan Dongsa Cooperative's "Zun" harvest - a designation chosen by the cooperative that means ‘reverence’ of the ancient Qianjiazhai tea trees themselves. "Zun" also points to human collaboration with a living tree that has existed long before us and - hopefully - will continue to exist for generations to come. The Zun harvest uses the first early spring growth from only the old-growth (500-1000 year) wild trees above the Li Family’s home high in the mountains, and accessible only on foot. The wild nature of this tea’s provenance come through as a flavor texture and aroma experience that is both reverent of its source, and worthy of reverence for its commanding beauty, full of honey sweetness and dried fruit with the support of wild mountain herbs and intense textural depth.
- 2021 Loose Leaf Gu Hua Sheng
Craft and terroir have come together beautifully for this 2021 early autumn harvest from Qianjiazhai's wild tea trees. The Dongsa Cooperative wild-forages buds and tender leaves from tea trees between one hundred and three hundred years of age for this loose sheng pu'er blend. Every hand-picked leaf is withered and sun-dried in bamboo baskets, with little or no heat exposure to lock in the most wild and natural flavor of one of the most remote growing regions in the world.
- 2023 Qianjiazhai Single Tree ShengQianjiazhai is home to some of the oldest tea trees in the world. Once again, we are extremely lucky this year to be able to offer a single-tree harvest from the oldest tree on the Li Family’s high elevation plot, estimated to 1300 years based on its trunk diameter. Located at 24°16'13.6"N and 101°12'19.6"E, this single tree needs to be carefully climbed to sustainably harvest about ten kilograms of leaf per year. Growing out of a rocky mountainside, and surrounded by a biodiverse wild growth of evergreens, tulsi plants and flowers, this tree benefits from cool misty air, and mineral-rich soil. It takes three people with linked arms to circle the trunk! The deep roots and thousand plus years of fighting for survival give this tea an incredible complexity full of yun cooling sensation and aloeswood incense undertones. The Li Family works with Master Zhou to dry this tea in bamboo baskets in the sun, and hand finish the maocha for traditional stone pressing. Even within a microclimate like Qianjiazhai, each mountaintop and valley has its own unique qualities, and the cooperative selected this tree as worthwhile to finish separate from their blended cakes to show off the stunning terroir and the complexity that is possible with ancient tree stock. Set aside a few cakes for aging and the yun cooling and tingling qualities continue to develop over the years. We’ve been following this tree for six years now and have been blown away with the development we see in cellaring. available this year in 5g dragon pearls, 100g tea cakes and 250g pressings
'A single eight hundred year old tree can yield up to three kilograms of finished dry leaf. The Dongsa Cooperative picks each of these trees and keeps their leaf material separate. The finished sheng pu’er maocha can either be sold as a single tree lot, blended with other 800 year trees for a single age statement pressing, or blended with 300-500 year leaves for Zun pressings.'
- 46-820530 seconds15-304620510 seconds10-30412room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu4 g.6 ozuse 205° watersteep 10 seconds
add 10-30 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy