2023 Spring Laoshan Roasted Oolong
2023 Spring Laoshan Roasted Oolong
Crafted by the He Family
- DATE OF PICKINGMay 2023
- Laoshan VillageShandong Province
- ELEVATIONsea level
- longjing quntiTea Varietal
Laoshan Roasted Oolong is the most technically-demanding and labor-intensive tea that the He Family produces. As one of the first people in Northern China to take on oolong craft, Mr. He is defining the flavor and value of this new tea for the entire region. He starts with tender hand-picked leaves from his mountain-spring fed ocean-facing plot, and allows them a full two days to oxidize before beginning the critical kneading and shaking stage that brings out deep rich fruit and florals not normally present. These flavors are locked in with a heavy roast for a tea with the satisfying body of Laoshan Black but with the subtlety of the fine oolong.
Laoshan Roasted Oolong balances malty dessert-like chocolate with an underlying deep spice and Wuyi-like roasted texture. Expect the sweet savory qualities of reserve Laoshan Black but with notes of spice and deep minerality.
- truesavory80pancakes with maple syruptruespice60cinnamontruefruit60cherrytruefloral70peony, hibiscustruemalty, velvety
- savory - pancakes with maple syrup
- spice - cinnamon
- fruit - cherry
- floral - peony, hibiscus
- texture - malty, velvety
the He Family also recommends
- 2022 Autumn Laoshan Green OolongThis tea is the He Family's answer to the challenge that oolong is only for southern China. Despite Laoshan Village only having fifty years of tea cultivation and oolong being the most technically demanding kind of tea in the world to produce, Mr. He comes through brilliantly. The careful kneading and rolling brings out a beautiful, pure expression of the minerality of the soil and the water. This tea is processed without a roast for a true green flavor of Laoshan.
- 2023 Spring Laoshan Green Oolong
Laoshan Green Oolong takes the beautiful mineral-forward green bean profile of Laoshan Green and gives it an astounding depth and complexity through meticulous labor intensive craftsmanship. Mr. He starts with sweet rich fresh leaves, then kneads and shakes the leaves to bring out rich florals and fruity undertones. Heat locks in the green quality of this tea before it can oxidize, yielding a fresh pure and honest expression of the unique flavor of the region. The He Family's special combination of green tea and oolong finishing lock in fresh bright vegetal notes, while accentuating deep tingling minerality and building a luscious fruity floral oolong undertone.
- Wood-Fired Reserve Laoshan Osmanthus Black
The He Family is known for their bold willingness to innovate, and this singular tea is a perfect example of the way they push the boundaries of genre. Wild-picking Laoshan osmanthus and using it to scent buddy resrev-level black tea is still a new craft in Laoshan, just a few years old, but the results have been spectacular, juicy, a and almost oolong-like. This year, He Qingqing wanted to push the idea of oolong inspiration, borrowing roasting craft from Wuyishan and giving her family's black tea a special secondary wood-firing to bring out deep toasty depth. The results really are in the style of teas like Tieluohan. Instead of overwhelming the osmanthus, the roast balances it, adding depth to the honeyed dessert-like qualities of the He Family's black tea.
'Mr. He and He Qingqing set out to prove that Laoshan is capable of crafting truly fine tea, worthy of respect on the wider world stage. First green tea, then black tea, and now, the real show-stopper: Laoshan oolong tea. Their family's success demonstrates that great tea doesn’t come only from tradition, but rather from a combination of hard work, land stewardship and inspired innovation.'
- 56-820530 seconds15-30552055 seconds5-10512room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 205° watersteep 5 seconds
add 5-10 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy