2021 Spring Laoshan Roasted Oolong
2021 Spring Laoshan Roasted Oolong
Crafted by the He Family
- DATE OF PICKINGMay 2021
- Laoshan VillageShandong Province
- ELEVATIONsea level
- longjing quntiTea Varietal
Laoshan Roasted Oolong is the most technically-demanding and labor-intensive tea that the He Family produces. As one of the first people in Northern China to take on oolong craft, Mr. He is defining the flavor and value of this new tea for the entire region. He starts with tender hand-picked leaves from his mountain-spring fed ocean-facing plot, and allows them a full two days to oxidize before beginning the critical kneading and shaking stage that brings out deep rich fruit and florals not normally present. These flavors are locked in with a heavy roast for a tea with the satisfying body of Laoshan Black but with the subtlety of the fine oolong.
This year's Laoshan Roasted Oolong balances malty dessert-like chocolate with an underlying deep spice and Wuyi-like roasted texture. Expect the sweet savory qualities of reserve Laoshan Black but with notes of sandalwood, cardamom and deep minerality.
- truespice85pine, sandalwood, cardamomtruefruit75pomegranate, mandarin orangetruefloral50honeytruesavory95chocolate frosting, malted milk, toasted almondtrueroasted, minerality
- spice - pine, sandalwood, cardamom
- fruit - pomegranate, mandarin orange
- floral - honey
- savory - chocolate frosting, malted milk, toasted almond
- texture - roasted, minerality
the He Family also recommends
- 2022 Autumn Laoshan Green OolongThis tea is the He Family's answer to the challenge that oolong is only for southern China. Despite Laoshan Village only having fifty years of tea cultivation and oolong being the most technically demanding kind of tea in the world to produce, Mr. He comes through brilliantly. The careful kneading and rolling brings out a beautiful, pure expression of the minerality of the soil and the water. This tea is processed without a roast for a true green flavor of Laoshan.
- 2021 Laoshan Osmanthus Black Tea
This year is the fourth fantastic harvest of the He Family's new osmanthus-scented black tea. Once again, the He Family is sharing a rich reserve-level Autumn Harvest Laoshan Black, scented during finishing with tiny hand-picked Laoshan Osmanthus flowers. The brown sugar, honey and fruity chocolate notes are melded together perfectly with the luscious almost creamy floral of the He Family’s meticulously hand-harvested Osmanthus blossoms. This tea is one of the hardest to make in the He Family collection since the local osmanthus blossoms are so small that they have to pick thousands just to make tiny batch of finished tea, but the results are worth the effort.
- Autumn Laoshan Pine Needle Green
Long, slender hand-twisted green tea loose leaf picked in the early autumn from organic cultivation rocky fields, finished to show off the beauty of the young buds. The flavor is delicate, mineral-driven and sweet through every steeping thanks to the careful hand-finishing, cold northern climate, and innovative growing techniques.
'Mr. He and He Qingqing set out to prove that Laoshan is capable of crafting truly fine tea, worthy of respect on the wider world stage. First green tea, then black tea, and now, the real show-stopper: Laoshan oolong tea. Their family's success demonstrates that great tea doesn’t come only from tradition, but rather from a combination of hard work, land stewardship and inspired innovation.'
- 56-820530 seconds15-30552055 seconds5-10512room temp8 hours
oz.use 205° watersteep 30 secondsresteep many times
add 15-30 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.5 ozuse 205° watersteep 5 seconds
add 5-10 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy