2022 Yun Xiang Tieguanyin
2022 Yun Xiang Tieguanyin
Crafted by Master Zhang
- DATE OF PICKINGSpring 2022
- Daping VillageAnxi, Fujian
- ELEVATION1000 M
- TieguanyinTea Varietal
Yun is a complex concept. While it can be literally translated as “charm," the yun of a tea is more than simple appeal – yun is what makes the tea powerful and lingering beyond the common concept of aftertaste. Only the finest teas have a perceptible quality that would be described by professional Chinese tasters as yun. While there is no complete agreement on how to put "yun" into words, we notice a light cooling sensation and a tingling almost electrical texture on teas that have yun. This feeling builds up with every sip, making subsequent steepings more and more commanding. Master Zhang creates this through careful charcoal roasting over several long sessions and many days, relying on his experience and senses to get the finish perfectly right.
- truefruit60yuzutruesavory70sweet potato, buckwheattruefloral60tulsi blossomstruespice55redwood, toasted cinnamontruevegetal35fenneltrueyun, deep, cooling, granite
- fruit - yuzu
- savory - sweet potato, buckwheat
- floral - tulsi blossoms
- spice - redwood, toasted cinnamon
- vegetal - fennel
- texture - yun, deep, cooling, granite
Master Zhang also recommends
- 1990 Aged TieguanyinThis limited 1990 harvest of aged Tieguanyin stands out as unique from the others because the leaves were hand-processed by Master Zhang using traditional Oolong Revival style, where one end of leaf is slightly curled and the other is extended. Master Zhang describes the shape as a ‘dragonfly’. These leaves were turned and fluffed three times the normal standard for modern Tieguanyin. The result of this unique processing and the 25 years of age creates a deep shu pu’er-like earthy flavor most similar to the clean fermentation of Xingyang shu pu’ers. We have never tasted anything like this in an oolong. It has the foresty richness of shu pu’er but the sweet caramel aftertaste of oolong.
- 2005 Aged TieguanyinMaster Zhang is making some of the finest Tieguanyin in the world. Based in Daping village at the very highest peaks of Gande, Anxi. His terraced fields are overgrown with wildflowers, and fed by naturally sweet and clear mountain spring water. Master Zhang's slow and subtle roasting and aging process adds deep lingering spice to the Tieguanyin florals. This ten year old harvest is already rich and full of spice.
- 2022 Special Grade Autumn Tieguanyin
Master Zhang takes his Special Grade designation seriously. In order for a batch to be set aside as Special Grade, it has to meet an incredibly high standard of sweetness, a long lingering aftertaste, and thick balanced texture and evocative aroma. It takes the perfect combination of high elevation rocky soil, cool stand-out weather during the growing season and on the picking and finishing days. In the autumn it is even rarer to get these perfect windows, so we are excited to be sharing this harvest for teh first time. This extremely limited special grade Tieguanyin was hand-picked and hand finished over an exhaustive day and a half fluffing and turning process to bring out deep intense florals and creamy texture. The true flavor of the Tieguanyin varietal is preserved with Master Zhang’s expert green finish.
'Master Zhang calls these teas his little experiments, and this year-long work means he is always working to challenge himself, collaborate, learn and explore. These teas don’t make it to market, shared only within a close personal network of trusted friends. Out of all of his experiments this autumn, Master Zhang hand picked these five new teas to share with all of you'
- 56-820820 seconds10562086 seconds3512room temp8 hours
oz.use 208° watersteep 20 secondsresteep many times
add 10 sec. each infusion
Gongfu5 g.6 ozuse 208° watersteep 6 seconds
add 3 sec. per steepingenjoy many steepings
oz.use room temp. waterrefrigerate overnight
8 hoursadd ice & enjoy